• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Extremely interesting post by Comicwiz

2 posts in this topic

I thought some coin ebay people might be interested in his comments. Look up message #380700 on the comic forum.

"The coding for the following is a "div", which is a layer which can sit right on top of a web page. If that layer uses a bold background or an image, it can cover the area directly beneath it.

The other thing about div's is that they use coordinates to place them on a page. Here is an example of a layer containing my eBay ID and feedback -- simulated exactly as it appears on the eBay site, with working links and all:

www.comicwiz.com( 49)

Just above the members regular feedback.

Not I don't have a stuttering problem. I wrote the sentence above three times to illustrate how a layer actually works. If you notice, the first sentence is covered by the ID/Feedback link. This is because the div/layer uses a background which places a rectangular box around the link, to whatever dimensions I specfiy. So ideally, I could have covered the entire sentence, but didn't for effect -- to illustrate how div/layers are able to cover certain areas of a web page, text and images. Because there are Javascript restrictions on this board, I couldn't really show you the full range of things that can be done layers and div's on a web site

In such a situation, one can hyperlink the fake member ID and feedback link above to a fudged up feedback profile. How many times have we seen frauds pull off realistic eBay email scams -- seeming like they are coming from eBay themselves.

Because div's use coordinates to place them on a web site page, if you spend some time, and experment long enough, you could find yourself covering certain links and eBay tags on an auction listing page -- very easily. As far as I know, there are no restictions on div/layer usage, but that might all change soon.

Unfortunately, I don't think eBay will restrict Javascript use anytime soon, and until it does, it opens itself up to a wide range of vulnerabilities, that if placed in the wrong hands, could serve in tricks like feedback tampering one of the pillars of trust for eBay's online trading system."

TRUTH

Hey truthteller

Here is the post in its entirety -- if any of the coin guys have any questions or insights, feel free to ring-in here or at the orignal post thumbsup2.gif

I noticed that the div layer's effect isn't working properly in the quote from your post, and thought for both demonstration purposes, and that it might make more sense for coin people who may be interested in the topic to get a backgrounder on the issue presented in the original post.