• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RANT!!!! ARCHIVED THREADS ARE USELESS WITHOUT IMAGES!

37 posts in this topic

What I don't understand is why someone who can afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a single coin won't buy a photo management program like ACDSee Pro 3 for about $200. Not only can one host the photos from their own computer, but they can keep and manage them indefinitely, and they will never disappear from a thread.

How does it keep them from disappearing when my computer isn't connected to the net?

Because the images are in your computer's cache (disk space used to save items downloaded from the Internet). As long as you do not delete your cache, the images will always exist whether you are connected or not. There are a lot of caveats to this, but it is the general rule.

Scott

No I mean how does it allow others to see them when my computer is not connected. If I have the photo management program and the photos are hosted on my machine and I am not connected to the net people will still the lovely red X. it's just that they will come and go depending on whether or not I happen to be connected.

(And I can understand photos eventually disappearing from archived threads. My gripe is people who post a photo, ask a question, get an answer and then pull the photo in a still active thread.)

If I have the photo management program and the photos are hosted on my machine and I am not connected to the net people will still the lovely red X.

Wrong! Many of my photos are on CF cards and my computer was in storage for a year, but none of my photos have disappeared.

Chris

The only thing I don't like about the bucket is the link drops if you move an image after you have posted the URL in a thread.

I would think Photobucket could fix this but it must be a problem they don't wish to fix. Over time a person needs to add albums and move stuff around.

The trick is to start off right on Photobucket. From the start create as many albums as you feel you will ever use. Load all new images to the correct album and never move them. If one needs a new album, upload a new copy of the image to the new album but don't mess with the original album.

A question for those with websites? If you have one and move an image, will the link drop? I have always wanted to host my own images. The bucket sure moves slow at times.

Wrong! Many of my photos are on CF cards and my computer was in storage for a year, but none of my photos have disappeared.

OK maybe I'm wrong but can you explain to me how my computer can track down and find a photo hosted on your machine and load it while your computer is turned off and in storage somewhere?

OK maybe I'm wrong but can you explain to me how my computer can track down and find a photo hosted on your machine and load it while your computer is turned off and in storage somewhere?

Cyberspace can be a bewildering place to live, can't it? I can only guess that it is due to the fact that the photos are (permanently) imaged on other sites like this one.

Chris