• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which U.S. Gold to send to NGC????

19 posts in this topic

Many people say certain TPG's co's grade higher on certain things.

I have many $20 libs & st. gaudens I want to get graded

If i am looking for the most favorable grade from NGC, which grades/slabs/raw should I submit?

BU's, cross-over, genuine, variety,etc

Thanx

See ya in long beach

:)

Welcome to the neighborhood! I'm not a gold collector, but as Michael said, photos would help. I'm sure that others will probably chime in, but some are probably still recovering from FUN.

Chris

I have many $20 libs & st. gaudens I want to get graded

I wish I had multiple $20 Libertys and Saint Gaudens. I bought tech stocks instead...:eek:

Do like we all do, send them all to NGC and cross your fingers.

You haven't mentioned anything about yourself that may or may not influence the suggestions given to you.

Are you a member of NGC?

As a dealer or collector?

Actually, I'm assuming that you are a dealer because you mentioned your table at the upcoming Long Beach Show. I know that there are bulk submission discounts available to dealers, but I'm not a dealer so I don't have specific information about the program.

If you just joined, what membership tier did you elect?

If you selected the Premium or Elite membership, you should have received a certificate good for five free Early Bird gradings. If you did, and you have not used it, it might be a good idea to use it on specific raw coins you have to compare how you would grade them against how NGC would grade them. If it were me, I would submit only coins that I am pretty much sure about and are problem-free. This would be very beneficial for future submissions because you now have specimens which you can use to compare to other coins in your collection. From there, you can then decide if it is worthwhile to submit crossovers that may be undergraded or even coins that are in "third-world" slabs.

Just a few thoughts for you to mull over.

Chris

Even AU's have a decent premium these days. Worst thing that can happen is they come back as cleaned in details holders. I would send them all in no matter what, because they are $1000 coins to say the least.

Ok guys, he has a booth at the Long Beach show, yet is asking us for advice? I smell spam. I could not help but notice the little ad under the fuzzy question.

Ok guys, he has a booth at the Long Beach show, yet is asking us for advice? I smell spam. I could not help but notice the little ad under the fuzzy question.

It's in my nature to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Chris

Basically check for problems yes, but just send the lot in. I doubt you are going to get a better grade any way. Perhaps if you had a major pedigree on the coins..

If the system works properly, then the same coin should be graded the same at least 9 times out of 10. Is it worth the effort for a tiny chance at a better grade on 1 or 2 coins ?

For all we know, he doesn't usually sell certified coins. Or for that matter, he might be manning a booth for someone else.

So what if he has his booth # listed on his post. Other members list a variety of alternate sites on their sig lines. Big deal!

Chris