• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FUN Show NEWPS - Shillings!

4 posts in this topic

Was lucky enough to buy these two shillings. The first is a Charles I, the second William III. NGC calls the Charles I a F-12, but I think it should be a little higher than that (maybe a British F-12, which would be an American VF). These shillings are very crudely struck - the Charles I series of shillings is incredibly complicated, with a wide variety of types, strikes, circumstances, etc. Part of this is due to the English Civil War, although this coin was struck in 1639.

The second one the dealer also had marked Fine, but I believe its a bit better than Fine. Interestingly, the insert in the dealers flip traces this piece to an auction in 1968, which I have not yet researched. The surfaces of this piece are flawless, beautifully toned with the old silver look I love so much. Even more interesting is the huge die clash visible on the obverse behind the Bust - the Irish harp from the reverse is clearly visible. So, tell me what y'all think!

IMG_6154.jpg

IMG_6159.jpg

IMG_6160.jpg

IMG_6164.jpg

I agree the Charles I piece is much better than a Fine. I'd say much of the detail loss is from strike not wear. On the William III piece though I'd say they are close. Possibly a little better, maybe a F-15. I don't think I would call it a VF.