• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hang em high- NEWP (Conder)

14 posts in this topic

Nice one. FUN show purchase? Have to admit that I wasn't sure what this was.

I've seen some posted at times but I've never taken the time to read anything about them.

Just did a quick read out of one of David Bowers books and also a look at what Wikipedia had. I'm quickly finding out that there is a lot of interesting stuff out there that I don't know anything about. Thanks for posting.

David

Can you explain more about this token? For example, are those women at the ends of those nooses? What does the wording mean? Why did they make this token? Where would a person look to find out more? Appreciate anything you can update - definitely an interesting looking item.

Can you explain more about this token? For example, are those women at the ends of those nooses? What does the wording mean? Why did they make this token? Where would a person look to find out more? Appreciate anything you can update - definitely an interesting looking item.

1796 G.BRIT D&H-837 1/2P Middlesex Spence's Token

While this token is attributed to Thomas Spence this Conder should actually be credited to Peter Skidmore. It should be noted that Spence did end up selling all his dyes to Skidmore due to his financial woes. Peter Skidmore made his tokens for collectors and they did not circulate as previous tokens that were used in commerce. Both Spence and Skidmore were propagandists in a very tumultuous period in British history. Skidmore with anti-Thomas Paine sentiments and Spence on the pro side of that Paine ledger. In fact Spence sold Paine's booklets in the day.

As for the poor hanging knaves I can only ascertain that this was a blunt political message.Knaves were male servants or jseters/jokers. Maybe Conder101 can chime in. I also asked Bill McKivor for yet more help. MJ

Given that it is 1796 I'd say it had little to do with Paine and a whole lot to do with the French revolution.

Nice token. (thumbs u

" A way to prevent knaves from getting a trick"

Definition of knaves:

1) An unprincipled, crafty fellow.

2) A male servant.

3) A man of humble birth.

In my opinion, A way to prevent (a man) from getting a trick (sexual encounter)

A trick nowadays can mean having sex for money, or prostitution.

I guess that would do it, just hang 'em all.

" A way to prevent knaves from getting a trick"

Definition of knaves:

1) An unprincipled, crafty fellow.

2) A male servant.

3) A man of humble birth.

In my opinion, A way to prevent (a man) from getting a trick (sexual encounter)

A trick nowadays can mean having sex for money, or prostitution.

I guess that would do it, just hang 'em all.

Ummmm, actually, supposedly males that are hung end up with erections...

The three fellows hanging actually represent Thomas Spence (Another good reason why it is unlikely these were issued by Spence), Thomas Paine, and Thomas Hardy. All three of these men were "Champions for the Common Man" against the established order and supporters of the French Revolution. (You can find them refered to on some other conders either by name or as the three Thomases. The phrase "Noted advocates for the Right of Man" refers to Thomas Paine's book by that title.)

Both Spence and Hardy were arrested and tried for treason on more than one occasion but both managed, through the use of a very good lawyer, be be acquitted each time. Thomas Paine never seemed to be able to stay out of trouble where ever he went. It was his writings which stirred up the American people during our revolution and helped us to overthrow the British. But he made a nuisance of himself and was eventually forced to leave the country. He went back to England where he began writing again this time publishing pamphlets in support of the French revolution and encouraging the British citizens to stand up for their rights against the crown as well. Well when they went after him, rather than standing trial, he fled to France. Where he then started writing again criticizing the French citizen government was behaving and the Terror began. So they went after him again and he was forced to once again flee the country, this time back to America.

As to the phrase "a way to prevent knaves getting a trick", I think the card game reference is probably most apt. In Bridge you win a "trick" or accomplish what you set out to do so the way to prevent the knaves (unprincipled crafy fellows) from winning the trick (accomplishing what they set out to do), he advocates you do what is shown on the obverse.

Thanks Conder. I just received the following from Bill McKivor. MJ

The three hanging men speak for them selves, but often are considered three martyrs for their causes---Spence had nothing to do with this token, but the series is used to “3”s, he has a token out with the names of three martyrs, Thomas Paine, Thomas Moore, and of course—Thomas Spence!! Not positive that this is represented on the hanging men piece as it is Skidmores. The reverse of the piece is Skidmore as well, but refers to the Jacobins in France who were formulating the revolution---and the rest is a play on words, “May the Knave of Jacobin Clubs never gain a trick”, decidedly anti Jacobin, thus pro Royalist. Lots of symbolism on these pieces. The wording of course pertains to playing cards.

Great explanations from everyone. I will be the first to admit I am not a fashion genius and it just looked to me like the those enjoying the party were dressed in skirts - thus the "trickors". I would have never made the correlation of the term trick to that of playing cards in this intstance. Now I know. Thanks again.

I will be the first to admit I am not a fashion genius and it just looked to me like the those enjoying the party were dressed in skirts - thus the "trickors".

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but those "skirts" look like nightshirts to me which I believe were very commonplace in those days.

Chris