• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forum etiquette questions

43 posts in this topic

So I went to the FUN show and I bought quite a few coins....and you all know how much I love to show off my coins :acclaim:

All of the coins or most of the coins I purchased will be for sale in the near future but are not currently. I would really like to show them off when I get them imagined but I don't want to rub folks the wrong way and turn the thread into some sort of sales preview pitch etc which is the last thing I want to do.

What do my fellow board members think about folks posting coins they they are going to sell? I know it is done all the time but I respect the folks here and ATS and I would rather not start the thread if folks are going to get offended?

Thanks All :foryou:

I can't speak for others, but my feeling is as follows....

If a person posts a coin on the forum which is not for sale at the time and he/she doesn't indicate it will be for sale in the future, that seems OK. I would change my mind over time if the person primarily posted coins which were going to be for sale shortly thereafter.

Shane.......Most of the coins you collect and sell I don't collect. BUT usually I love the toning of your coins and you have a eye for coins with great eye appeal. I can appreciate almost all series. Your photos aren't half bad either. rantrant Yes please post.

Thanks for asking, first.................................

[font:Comic Sans MS] NO!!! [/font]

Just kidding!

Yes, there have been others who have posted in "Coins" for no other reason but to advertise the fact they were selling them in the "Marketplace", and I object to that if there were nothing to be learned or appreciated about a particular coin.

However, if there is an educational purpose to the post, then I have no objection.

Chris

Ok...good thought so far folks...I assure you when I do post I won't start of with...I really wanted to show you guys these awsome coins before I sell them :eyeroll:

lol lol lol

Hey I even have some white coins to post :slapfight:

I'm actually a little different then most. I have no objection even if they currently for sale. Since I seldom remember to check out the for sale board I WANT to see them.

I have no problem with it . If you are concerned about what people think then post them in the marketplace thread rather then in the general chat.

Simple to me.

If you post them and talk about their qualities, do it here or in US coins.

If you post them "For Sale", do it in the Marketplace.

I would not try to mix the two.

You will just have to walk that fine spam line... :rulez:

MM :whistle:

Pretty sure you know my feelings on this... but I'm ok with it. Like Mark said... if you want to show them off, this is the right place, if you wanna sell them, then there is the Marketplace.

Pretty sure you know my feelings on this... but I'm ok with it. Like Mark said... if you want to show them off, this is the right place, if you wanna sell them, then there is the Marketplace.

I know there can be some grey areas as far as what some consider acceptable.....but I know that folks have been doing it both ways for years lol

I'm actually a little different then most. I have no objection even if they currently for sale. Since I seldom remember to check out the for sale board I WANT to see them.

I agree as long as it's not modern junk that I don't want to see.

If the coins are fun to look at then let me know that at some point I might get to own one.

I would think in the big scheme of things that most coins posted are for sale , at a price .

Personally I don't have a problem with them being shown in recent acquisitions where purchases are discussed . :grin:

I realize that I am the Richard Cranium in this thread, but I would vote that you should not post them within this forum. You clearly state that you purchased the coins for resale, which therefore makes them inventory. The fact that you are a well liked poster who participates frequently has no doubt given you leeway with others that newer or less well liked posters would not receive. However, the net effect is the same; in either instance you are gaining an unfair advanage for sale and exposure for your inventory by posting that inventory where it does not belong. Sorry, but I attempt to be honest and consistent.

I realize that I am the Richard Cranium in this thread, but I would vote that you should not post them within this forum. You clearly state that you purchased the coins for resale, which therefore makes them inventory. The fact that you are a well liked poster who participates frequently has no doubt given you leeway with others that newer or less well liked posters would not receive. However, the net effect is the same; in either instance you are gaining an unfair advanage for sale and exposure for your inventory by posting that inventory where it does not belong. Sorry, but I attempt to be honest and consistent.

On second thought, I've changed my mind and I have to side with Tom and Mark because it would set a bad precedent for others to follow.

However, this brings up another issue. There have been numerous instances where someone has posted to "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" making it known that the coin(s) were being earmarked for sale. Does this seem fair? Perhaps we should allow someone to start a thread in, say Tangents or Coins, letting everyone know that an item has been posted to the Marketplace, nothing more. Members could then check them out, and post remarks to either thread. What say you?

Chris

I actually don't have a problem with your thoughts on this Tomb....if I wasn't in the back of my mind I wouldn't have asked for opinions. Yes I will selling them and yes it will be soon and although I could have just posted them without ever mentioning they were going to be for sale and my motives would still have been to just show them off....the reality is that indirectly it would give the coins exposure from a selling point.

I will errror on the side of caution and only post the coins I am keeping and then the for sale stuff will be posted in the B/S/T. That way if anybody wants to see the pics just for the sake of seeing them they know ere to go to find the pics (thumbs u

We all talk about how this will open the flood gates of abuse, but really? So he shows the occasional toner and then later, certainly not at the time it is being displayed, it is offered for sale.

Who cares?

I can't imagine these forums being better places to visit if we keep to a stern rule of not showing coins off that one day are also offered for sale.

I also don't buy into the theory that will be overrun with collectors taking advantage of our good nature and simply listing coins for sale via these coin forums.

Let's all of us lighten up and take a deep breath. Show off your coins! Mark, TomB, I'd love to see more of your coins and heaven forbid, down the road you offer them for sale? How has anyone been hurt or offended by that?

I don't care if someone profits a bit from these forums- we're here to talk about neat and interesting coins and I'd love to see pictures of them.

(((In fact secretly, and I know not a popular thought, I wish more of the coins showing up here were offered for sale! But, I'll keep that opinion to myself.)))

I have a coin in the world and ancient section that will be for sale. I wanted opinions on the legitimacy of the coin before I sold it, that's got to be ok or what if someone want's opinions on how much to sell it for? I say lets see the pics.

Somebody start a poll......

Well since Tomb is being mean to me :sorry::kidaround:

I am not going to post them so there......you will not be treated to such wonderous sites as say.....

1884OGreen.jpg

This one I used to own several years ago and I lost it in my divorce sale so when I say it I just couldn't pass it up....I will gladly be keeping it as part of my collection :banana:

Totally agree, please show all of your acquistions along with comments or requests for feedback.

Once offered for sale the coins should be listed only in the Marketplace.

Carl

There are two types of spam posts that bug me.

#1. "I'm selling this coin on (ebay, Teletrade whatever)" LINKY!!! :mad:

#2. is the misplaced post that should be in the swaps and sales area: This coin for sale for $x. :censored:

Otherwise I really don't care if you show coins you intend to sell so long you don't make overt references to their availabity here or in the U.S. coins section.