• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Type coin preferences?

20 posts in this topic

If you had the choice between a stunner of a really common date, or an below-average example of a key date, which would you prefer to add to your type set (and why)? Assume cost is the same for both coins and resale is not an issue.

The stunner...easily. For a type set I don't care what the date/MM is. Instead, I want the best example of the type I can find.

My thoughts exactly.

You mean below average grade or eye-appeal? I’m guessing you mean below average eye appeal in which case I would purchase the common date stunner. Why? Because below average eye appeal coins are always “but” coins for me and I invariably end up selling them down the road.

I'd take the stunner, too! It doesn't matter if it is a type set or not. In my Morgan collection, I have a few that are not in the MS63 - MS67 range, and I'm always wishing that I could afford better examples of some of the lower-graded ones. Most collectors are always looking for opportunities to upgrade specimens in their collection, and to add to what winstonware said, "If it doesn't please the eye, hide it somewhere or get rid of it."

Chris

The stunner with no doubt. If I need the key date for a date/mm set I may consider it but if it is below average in appearance, I will pass. Eye appeal is too important for me.

Just depends on the coin

I have a 3cn that is a ms67 and looks great but they are a dime a dozen compaired to a 1884 or 1885

Some key dates are a lot harder to find then the stunners

the stunner

but if the below average coin was an 1802 half dime

or a 1793 chain ameri. and/or wreath cent

higley copper

NE shilling

sommer islands 6 pence

1864-s half eagle

etc.

i might take the below average coin

It would have to depend on what the rest of the set looked like I would imagine. If the rest of the set are stunners and you're going to add a dog to the group, then it will detract from the set. Just my thoughts tho.

The stunner for me. The key dates in what I collect are way out of my reach. (1879-O & 1883-O) An ugly xf 45 1883-O eagle just sold at FUN for $25,875) That amount of money would buy a real stunner in a common date New Orleans (with motto) eagle.

I vote with the majority. The stunner. It is a type set, I want nice coins sitting beside each other. A key date is not an issue

MM

For type? The stunner, without question or hesitation. Additionally, I would think long and hard about ever buying a key date coin with below average eye appeal for any purposes since these coins tend to be expensive and the folks who are buying them often want value for their dollar. In other words, they might not do as well as an investment and might not be as liquid as better key date examples.

Funny thing is... I made a comment earlier about trying to keep the type set approximately the same kind of view... but if you've ever seen mine, it's a hodgepodge.... both Stunners and Dawgs!

I'm glad to see the clear majority is more interested in the coin and its eye appeal, rather than filling a hole based only on rarity. That's what I expected going in.

As a type collector I buy the highest grade, best struck coins I can afford. I want type coins that provide me with best examples of each design. I avoid low grade and problem coins. If I can't afford something decent, I can do without. The lowest grade coin I have in type set is a VF-25 1796 Quarter.

Rare dates have no great attraction for me. That goes double in recent years. Many collectors and speculators have driven the price of better coins too high IMO. Sure people have made money specializing in key dates, but it can't go on forever. And what makes a rare date really desirable? They are the coins collectors need to complete sets, and if set collecting ceases to be popular, the demand for better dates will have to come down eventually.