• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coinforgeryebay/

11 posts in this topic

Here is a picture database of counterfeit coins and counterfeit slabs set up by one of the members of the EBAY coin fraud group . This is a pubic site for anyone to view. This database has just been set up and I am sure it will grow quickly as we continue to post more pictures of counterfeit coins.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coinforgeryebay/

Heritage Pedigree 1886-S MORGAN DOLLAR PCGS MS64 has a CAC sticker ???

The 1886-S CAC is the real coin . Pictures of the real coin in the real slab are used for comparison purposes.

Heritage Pedigree 1886-S MORGAN DOLLAR PCGS MS64 has a CAC sticker ???

The 1886-S CAC is the real coin . Pictures of the real coin in the real slab are used for comparison purposes.

Ahhh...that explains my wonderment about how well they were being re-produced! :o

Fake CAC??? Wow what levels people go to...oh wait! I better go print some shiny green stickers. (I know they didn't fake that, but I don't see why they don't)

I know there was a post removed that was discussing this, but if you think they can not make fake CAC stickers, you are not living in the real world.

MM

The scope and quality of these forgeries is scary! I mean really, without pre-existing photos of the slabs, how many of these fakes would have been identified? Sad to say, even very useful threads such as this only help to propegate even higher-quality fakes. This brings up how useful registeries could be. If we had 100% participation in an online database that showed where these slabs resided it would be much more difficult to pass copies. Unless something is done, as many before me have suggested, this will really hurt numismatics! Just last week I was watching sales of admittingly fake coins, improperly marked, by a person who said he bought them as genuine and was ripped-off. There were dozens of bids on the coins! Even sellers with the best of intentions could be unwittingly duped. Almost makes me want to collect moderns...almost!

The scope and quality of these forgeries is scary! I mean really, without pre-existing photos of the slabs, how many of these fakes would have been identified? Sad to say, even very useful threads such as this only help to propegate even higher-quality fakes. This brings up how useful registeries could be. If we had 100% participation in an online database that showed where these slabs resided it would be much more difficult to pass copies. Unless something is done, as many before me have suggested, this will really hurt numismatics! Just last week I was watching sales of admittingly fake coins, improperly marked, by a person who said he bought them as genuine and was ripped-off. There were dozens of bids on the coins! Even sellers with the best of intentions could be unwittingly duped. Almost makes me want to collect moderns...almost!

We can thank EBAY for turning a blind eye to this type of fraud.

You wont find this on any major reputable coin auction site.

EBAY has become a cesspool.