• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which would you chose?

Choose one please  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one please

41 posts in this topic

So why the huge raise in the price of tickets to live shows? I think it is due to the internet. Use to be all these singers made there money by selling there CD's (Albums, Tapes and 8-tracks for some of you guys :) now that people go on the internet and download everything they are now using the live shows to make the money were as they use to use them to promote the CDs.

Anyway agree / disagree? (Silly me asking if anyone disagrees on here)

I think the thing that has driven prices totally nuts in New York City is the outrageous salaries that Wall Street types are paid. They are paid so much that they have driven the prices for real estate through the roof and into the heavens. These high real estate prices trickle down to everything else including theater rents, office space from producers and employees’ salaries. You can’t make a middle class income of say $75,000 a year, which is above the middle class median income, and live in New York City. You have got to live outside the city in commute in on the rail system as I did when I lived in the area in the 1970s.

In addition to the “cost push” factors, you have the demand factors that allow the theater producers to charge those prices. If you have a big hit show, everyone wants to see it NOW. And if that show is dependent upon a key performer, everyone wants to see it before he or she moves leaves the production.

A prime example of this was the Mel Brooks play The Producers. When Nathan Lane and Mathew Broderick were staring in it, the show was a consistent sell out. When they left the show was almost forced to close before they agreed to come back. After they left a second time, the show closed in short order despite the fact that it won a record number of Tony Awards and was still entertaining without them. I saw a road company of the show in Boston, and it was great.

Later Mel Brooks wrote a musical based on his Young Frankenstein movie and it was a flop. Part of the reason might have been that he wanted $450 a seat. :o Even at half price, that's a big pill to swallow. (worship)

Thing to keep in mind in just ( Manhattan) has about 61,000 millionaire households . Now how many theater seats are their ?? Other show that are great for the price don't forget Las Vegas =Q i really liked tickets were free well kind of free.One of my kids in the 70 's worked in Manhattan think he was making 60k as a clerk in a antique store and yes he is GAY

So why the huge raise in the price of tickets to live shows? I think it is due to the internet. Use to be all these singers made there money by selling there CD's (Albums, Tapes and 8-tracks for some of you guys :) now that people go on the internet and download everything they are now using the live shows to make the money were as they use to use them to promote the CDs.

Nothing at all to do with the internet. It has to do with the same thing that resulted in having to pay 12 bucks for a movie instead of the quarter I once paid. It has to do with the same thing that resulted in having to pay 100 dollars for a ticket to see an OU Sooners football game instead of 5.

As long as entertainment venues are full prices will continue to escalate. And in all honesty I don't know why they shouldn't.

OMG !!! you only paid a quarter to get into movies? With all due respect they do have sound how. so that might be a reason for some of the increase :)

OMG !!! you only paid a quarter to get into movies? With all due respect they do have sound how. so that might be a reason for some of the increase :)

In the mid to late 50's, Saturday matinees at the Milo Theater in Rockville, MD costed 10c and it was always a double feature with Rocket Man as the "short" between films.

Chris

Nothing at all to do with the internet. It has to do with the same thing that resulted in having to pay 12 bucks for a movie instead of the quarter I once paid. It has to do with the same thing that resulted in having to pay 100 dollars for a ticket to see an OU Sooners football game instead of 5.

As long as entertainment venues are full prices will continue to escalate. And in all honesty I don't know why they shouldn't.

a dime for the Saturday afternoon monster/western twofer plus cartoon and a short plus 15 cents for a coke and popcorn (or candy).

The last concert that I went to was the excellent Scottish band Camera Obscura and it cost me nothing, as it was a free half hour show at Soundfix Records in Brooklyn.

Camera Obscura played for over an hour and they were great. Since then I have bought all of their CD's. Tracyann Campbell has such a beautiful voice.

I don't live in Manhattan and I am not an investment banker.

Wow wish I made what I do now and lived back in those days.

Of course, the fact that I (and many if not most others my age) now pay more in taxes every year than my old man EARNED in his best year also has a lot to do with prices being drastically higher. Companies have to generate that money somewhere.