• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever made a coin holey?

18 posts in this topic

I never put a hole in a coin but when I was a kid I use to put pennies on the railroad track and let a train flatten them. This was long before I became a collector. Wonder how many '09-S VDB's I went through?

Yes, I annointed a silver dollar by dipping it into Lake Tahoe, and then I put it into a slot machine.

Chris

PS. I do have a 19xx WLH with the hole drilled through the last two numbers of the date that I found in a bank roll.

No, but I made use of one I had that already had a hole in it. I do also have a few of those oval shaped "railroad tokens" made out of pennies on the tracks....

neck21.jpg

On second thought, I wonder about all those well worn walker halves I used to put in the collection plate at church when I was a kid. My dad would hand them to me to place in the plate.

MM

I did it just to see how easy it would be.

Using a drill, it wasn't as easy as I thought. I didn't account for the amount of friction that would occur (duh!), and the coin ended up heating up and burned my fingers! :sorry:

I can’t exactly remember when I holed this Walker for my key chain, but the hole has significantly enlarged over the years, the ring used to fit snug.

If nothing else, at least I could make a phone call…but I’d have to trade it for two quarters.

coin019.jpg

coin018.jpg

I can’t exactly remember when I holed this Walker for my key chain, but the hole has significantly enlarged over the years, the ring used to fit snug.

If nothing else, at least I could make a phone call…but I’d have to trade it for two quarters.

coin019.jpg

coin018.jpg

Sorry, Woody, but with that hole in it, you will only get one quarter, two dimes and three cents.

Chris

It's illegal to deface coinage here, such as drilling a hole

NOPE :angel:

Incorrect. That's a populat misconception.

According to U.S.code Title 18, Chapter 17, Section 331:

Whoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined

at the mints of the United States, or any foreign coins which are by law made current or are in actual use or circulation

as money within the United States; or

Whoever fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or sells, or attempts to pass, utter, publish, or sell, or brings

into the United States, any such coin, knowing the same to be altered, defaced, mutilated, impaired, diminished, falsified,

scaled, or lightened—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

The key word here is 'fraudulently'. You can legally drive a nail through a coin, paint it, melt it, squish it, or shave off a corner, but if do so with fraudulent intent (or spend or sell it with fraudulent intent), then you're breaking the law. Take the racketeer nickels: under this law (pretend this law applied then) it wouldn't be illegal to gold-plate a centless V-nickel, but it would be illegal to pass it to a store owner with the fraudulent intent of tricking him into giving back change for a $5 gold piece.

No problem at all with punching holes into coins to make collectables.

It's illegal to deface coinage here, such as drilling a hole

NOPE :angel:

Incorrect. That's a populat misconception.

I was gonna say.... RareSov's "here" is not the same as our "here."