• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about 1921-S Roll of Lincolns

12 posts in this topic

Today I was at a very old lady's house today doing some work and I don't know how I got

on the subject but we started talking about coins. Well anyways she wanted me to look at

coins from her husbands collection. He passed away about 3 years ago and she doesn't

know what to do with his collection. I looked over the collection and told her what I thought

about certain coins. He had about 250 morgans that were all awesome looking but were

mostly toned brown from the storage in the wood box.

My question is that he has a 1921-S Roll of Lincolns that he bought in 1934 according to his notes.

Did they roll lincolns in 1921?

What would be the value of this roll be?

Where would you sell them?

Thanks for any help?

You should inventory the collection, then research approximate values. Once you have this, you can help the lady plan how to dispose of her coins. No one will pay for a 1921-S cent roll without opening it. Look at auction prices for that date/mint and you'll see why.

The value of the roll would be the sum of the values of the individual coins, which could vary quite a bit. Unless you have opened it to confirm, it's also possible that it's mislabeled and is another date and/or mint.

The coins should be evaluated on an individual basis and if it is indeed an unc. roll from 1921-S, there is an excellent chance that it would be worth it to have them certified.

Jaime, that "very old lady" was very lucky to have met you. I shutter at the thought of her going to a WE BUY GOLD! place and asking if they bought pennies.

Mark is right, the 1921-S roll should be closely examined and if all the coins bear that date and are indeed uncirculated they should all be certified by NGC. At even $200 each it could be worth $10000.

If the whole roll slabs at MS-64RD it could be worth about $75000.

If the whole roll slabs at MS-65RD it could be worth about $575000.

If even only a few slab at MS-64/65RD it could really help her actually enjoy retirement.

That roll is amazing if it is indeed a 21-S solid roll. What was the condition of the end coins? mid-unc brown?

The ends are brown but unc.....I want to know if there are any full reds left inside.

Well...you could send it over to Heritage and they would sell it...It might be better to leave as a sealed roll. I know a good solid eBay auction for that would go for prolly $2000+, but the roll is worth far over that. If there is just 1 red example that alone is $600 in MS-63, and if the whole roll is MS-60BN then that's ~$5000. We're talking REAL money on this. I would have loved to have found that. It's really up to the owner. The roll could be certified by ANACS, dunno if NGC or PCGS certifies whole rolls (like with the new Lincoln 2009's). If the owner wants, best way to maximize profits is 1-by-1 sales, but that could literally take years so you don't flood the market. Take some pictures and send em to me!