• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A nice LB Heritage win...

26 posts in this topic

I feel quite pleased to have won a sweet coin from Heritage in their LB sale... with an internet bid, no less! smile.gif It grades MS67 and is a bit of a rare bear. Please keep in mind that I'm posting one of Heritage's crappy photos here... see attached.

Hoot

379170-342001589o.jpg.029812fa23183091f0ee5b8cf0ef0570.jpg

Thanks John, Beijim, Michael! I can't wait for the coin to arrive. The coin is in an old NGC holder, so the first thing I'll do is have it reholdered or send it in for regrading (just to be on the safe side). No matter how it turns out, I'll be happy, as I have always found that the coins look better in person than they do with Heritage's bad photos. To me, the coin has everything++ that a 37-S should have. Great edge detail and crispness of lettering. The fields look very smooth and bright with luster beaming through the patina. The Indian's detail is quite good for that issue, even without a perfect knot, as most of those have a huge loss of knot and braid detail. Great detail on the Indian's robe and the feathers are outstanding, with but a single tic that is visible in the lowermost feather. The bison looks excellent for the issue. Still not the detail that can be seen in other years, especially the '38-D, but looking great for a '37-S. I'm impressed with the detail of the bison's outline and hip/back leg. The motto is especially well defined. This piece was definitely from dies that were not yet too worn, perhaps with the reverse showing a bit of edge fatigue, but not yet affecting the lettering. The obverse shows only a touch of weakness in the Indian's neck. That's okay. tongue.gif Great rainbow toning to boot! smile.gif

The '30's buffalo nicks are undervalued in MS67, except for the '38-D (common) and '38-D/S (rare). (Oh, I suppose that a '34 or a very rare 35-D in 67 would go for quite a price!) Anyway, I feel like I stole this coin, especially for how pretty is appears to be. blush.gif

Hoot

Super catch, Hoot! Really a nice looking coin! I wanted to ask about the back right leg looking so weak but you answered it already.

I might have to take up Buff hunting! They are extremely good looking coins when in this condition.

Congrats! 893applaud-thumb.gif

David

Purrrrrty coin Hoot 893applaud-thumb.gif Congrats on your new addition !

I did manage to win one of the LB auctions I bid on - but it's the wrong type of coin for this Forum shy.gif

Thanks everyone! smile.gif

GDJMSP - So what if it's a darksider! Post the pic! Coins, coins, and more coins! Besides, some of the stuff that you, Greg, JamminJ, John, and others have been posting in the darkside forum have been truly splendiferous! cloud9.gif

Hoot

I took a wild, and probably stupid, chance with a grant and monroe commem. package. No pictures were shown and the Grant is raw. Wasn't cheap either, but the last time I did this I turned a quick profit from what turned out to be a nice score. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'll post pics when I get them, if I ever even get an invoice from Superior to pay? 893frustrated.gif

Rob

p.s. : Sweet Buff Hoot. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Here's my pick-up. I know its Darkside, but I am just continuing on my eastern european buying binge.

Mintages are very low, I think around 10k, but they never circulated so they are common in higher grades.

I think the eagle is sick, maybe throwing up. smile.gif

589a8bc7df634_380869-192520and10Zlotyrev.jpg.e6c6e5f9f6558425fee164bd90dc3451.jpg

OK Hoot - talked me into it. Just remember - the darkside is contagious so don't blame me if all you guys become infected 27_laughing.gif

Netherlands%201960%20PL%20ducat%20obv.jpg

Netherlands%201960%20PL%20ducat%20rev.jpg

At first glance it appears as no big deal. And to some it probably isn't. But to one who collects such coins this is not the case. The mintage for this coin was 3,600. In over 400 yrs of this design being minted there are two lower mintages. This is the only example of this coin I have ever seen offered for sale - so I bought it.

At first glance it appears as no big deal. And to some it probably isn't. But to one who collects such coins this is not the case. The mintage for this coin was 3,600. In over 400 yrs of this design being minted there are two lower mintages. This is the only example of this coin I have ever seen offered for sale - so I bought it.

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

John

Sweet darkside gold chinook and GDJMSP!!! Wonderful expansive knowledge you tow have in knowing what to look for and finding it for the right price!

thumbsup2.gif Hoot

This coin arrived while I was on travel, so I saw it in person just yesterday for the first time. Turned out to be quite a bit prettier in person than the Heritage photo depicted (naturally). I've attached a scan of the coin that captures much of the color but still does not show the unbelievable lustre. The piece just glows in the dark. grin.gif Thought I'd share...

395930-1937-S%20Buffalo%205c%20MS67%20NGC.JPG

Hoot

589a8bc7e286d_395930-1937-SBuffalo5cMS67NGC.JPG.5e99b218c9c9959160f20beb6d2056c6.JPG

The question remains: If you got that in the LB Signature sale how the HELL did that get by me? I VIEWED the friggen lots! Argh!

laugh.gif

jom