• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WWII medalion / medal find

5 posts in this topic

I'll take a wild guess and say that the tank is a mine sweeper and the chains suspended from the front are used to detonate these devices safely.

Safely being a relative term...

I'll take a wild guess and say that the tank is a mine sweeper and the chains suspended from the front are used to detonate these devices safely.

Safely being a relative term...

That's exactly what it is. This set up was quite effective in clearing mines but also terrifying enemy troops as it approached. There are reports of Germans fleeing the approach of such a weapon. Nice historical find.

It appears to be a medallion honoring the Westminster Dragoons, a British armored regiment that landed in Normandy on D-Day (June 6, 1944) and saw duty through VE-Day (May 8, 1945).

This may have been a token given to the members after they helped bring about the Allied victory in Europe.