• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Off to the races...Who's biddin'?

53 posts in this topic

Yes, it will cross. When I owned it before, it was in a PCGS 64 holder.

Information of this caliber is indisputable.

The question is what would SGS grade it? PF-70UCAM? that would make it worth more right?? More points means more money???

:insane:

I know where you are coming from - the 1804 dollar is my least favorite "famous" coin. But I love the mystery and intrigue surrounding the 1913s!

I'm the other way around, I find the stories and intrigue around the 1804 dollars an lot more interesting than the more mundane stories behind the 1913 V Nickels. And for the 1913's I find the lightly worn McDermott coin the most interesting of the five pieces.

I don't see how it got a PF64 grade....rim damage,bucktooth(maybe a fang?), high 'Yuck factor'....eye appeal is not very good....surfaces are blechh....any other date this mighta BB'd....

People here who have seen it in hand have said that it is a 64 all the way, plus its got the CAC seal of approval, so I am not sure what you are referring to...

How does the idea of a $500,000 buyer's premium grab you?!? It's times like this you realize you're in the wrong business!
If the coin meets its reserve, the auction house will almost certainly be paying the consignor well over over 100% of the price realized. So, while the 15% buyer's premium might sound like a large sum, much of it will probably go to the consignor. My guess is that the auction house will make 6% or less, net.

I would gladly take 6% of 3 mil or whatever the final might be. Even with all the operating cost etc, they are bound to come out winning.

Well I don't see rim damage and I'm not sure what he means by bucktooth but the surfaces don't appear to be that nice, the strike isn't full (These coins are NOT proofs just prooflike, first five coins off a brand new die). These coins are constantly being overgraded and problem overlooked, and the grades tend to go up as time passes. Originally all five were Uncs, then the two nicest ones became proofs. The McDermott specimen used to be described as an XF now it's a 55 and all five coins are now called proofs. The Walton coin is called a PF62 and has been described as being problem free, but when Donn Pearlman took pictures of it OUT of the holder at the ANA convention where it was rediscovered it appears in the pictures to be heavily hairlined like someone took a wire brush to it. I don't have a lot of faith in the grades assigned to these coins, or many others of the "super rarities" And I have seen several of them in person.

Maybe TDN can pipe in on the eye quality. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't he a past owner of this coin?

He did, in referring to when he owned it, it was in a PCGS holder as a 64

"Yes, it will cross. When I owned it before, it was in a PCGS 64 holder."

Maybe TDN can pipe in on the eye quality. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't he a past owner of this coin?

He did, in referring to when he owned it, it was in a PCGS holder as a 64

"Yes, it will cross. When I owned it before, it was in a PCGS 64 holder."

Do you really think PCGS would not cross that coin? I mean really? Even if the coin is a total dog, they will cross it for the pub.

Go look at the auction listing...click the link to see the super-sized pic...you'll see the fang(?)..rough rim on the bottom of the obverse...and makes the coin look rather,..well...blech..

Having viewed this coin in person, It is a lock 64

Does it really matter what it grades?!

:slapfight:

A local dealer asked me what this coin graded. I told him Proof-64. Then he asked me what it *really* graded. I told him Proof-64. (He was well aware that I've been known to not agree with grades on super-rarities. :)) I think the CAC sticker is warranted.

IMO the pictures of the coin in the slab are a reasonable representation of what it looks like. In hand it's a little dark IIRC (it's been a couple of months since I saw it), but has a fully reflective surface.