• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade 1943 Walker

19 posts in this topic

There are so many things that could be hiding on those pictures, but I'll call it a 66.

Let me add this to help with the grading.

The fields are very clean and the coin has plenty of luster under all that tone.

Obverse:

There is a tiny nick on one of the suns rays as well as some contact marks on the Liberties arm and legs .

What appears to be a contact mark in the uper right field next to the I is nothing ,

the photo made it look as if there was a mark

Reverse:

There are some minor contact marks on the Eagle .

MS-65 with a sharp strike and the only thing keeping it from an MS-66 is that tiny nick on the sun's ray. And yes, I'm picking nits.

I'd be proud to add this coin to my collection.

Good guesses everyone. NGC gave it a MS 67.

In my opinion the eye appeal of this coin is very high.

My only concern would be the minor contact marks on Liberties left leg.

I have a MS 67 CAC 1941 - D Walker that has a similar strike with less contact marks. I will be sending this to CAC after the holidays and will post the results when I get the coin back

90814.jpg.ef0818fbf96b17e36c35f0cbba3a6297.jpg

That baby should *

I disagree, quite a bit. The star is for exceptional eye appeal - and while that coin is certainly nice, it does not rank anywhere near star potential. The toning is average at best - spotted and streaked, mostly brown, with a small amount of purple variegation at the top. The reverse is plain white.

Don't get me wrong, I like the coin. It just doesn't have what it takes to be a star.

That baby should *

I disagree, quite a bit. The star is for exceptional eye appeal - and while that coin is certainly nice, it does not rank anywhere near star potential. The toning is average at best - spotted and streaked, mostly brown, with a small amount of purple variegation at the top. The reverse is plain white.

Don't get me wrong, I like the coin. It just doesn't have what it takes to be a star.

Jason the reverse is not plain white how did you come up with that conclusion ??. It is gold with various other colors mixed it. I can see why you might call the toning spotty or streaky but it is very attractive and exceptional looking in hand . When you get to the MS 66 - and 67 grade level I agree a star should only be given to exceptional coins . This one is damm nice but maybe not exceptional enough for a Star.

Here are some huge pictures that really show the coin well :

http://s585.photobucket.com/albums/ss297/guitarman102357/Misc%20Coins/?action=view&current=1943-walker-ngcms67-obverse-1919.jpg

http://s585.photobucket.com/albums/ss297/guitarman102357/Misc%20Coins/?action=view&current=1943-walker-ngcms67-obverse-1923.jpg

In those pictures I can see the gold on the reverse much better - the original pictures don't show the color of the reverse very well.

I agree the coin is attractive, yes. Its just not the exceptional that is required for a *.

In those pictures I can see the gold on the reverse much better - the original pictures don't show the color of the reverse very well.

I agree the coin is attractive, yes. Its just not the exceptional that is required for a *.

No arguments from me on the lack of a Star - but I would think it may have at least been considered. When I post photos here I have to shrink them up , thus they will lose detail .

The photobucket site has the uncompressed image .

For sake on comparison here is my 1941 - D MS 67 CAC Walker :

http://s585.photobucket.com/albums/ss297/guitarman102357/Misc%20Coins/?action=view&current=1941-d-Walker-Pcgs-MS67-CAC.jpg

This is a repunched D .

This thread brings out just how much subjectivity is involved in grading. For some of us posting the toning we see makes this coin exceptional--for others not.

Mark, thanks for sharing some great Walkers.

Carl

I just started with Walkers a few months ago - if I see a nice one that I can pick up for a good price I buy it . My primary coins have been Bust Half Dollars however I have started to purchase other type coins to diversify a bit.