• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New #1 set in Morgan Dollars??

38 posts in this topic

Mark, I'll wait and post Scotts response to my second email. It's quite clear that there is no way to know for certain the ownership of the coins assembled in a Registry Set. Knowing this I will no longer be in awe of Registry Sets. I'll never know if the coins have been acquired by an individual or by a group of collectors.

A baseball all star team has the best availible at each position, but everyone knows they belong to different teams Not so with Registry Sets no one knows who the real owner is.

As a matter of fact, I now find the concept of a Registry Set moot.

Mark, I'll wait and post Scotts response to my second email. It's quite clear that there is no way to know for certain the ownership of the coins assembled in a Registry Set. Knowing this I will no longer be in awe of Registry Sets. I'll never know if the coins have been acquired by an individual or by a group of collectors.

A baseball all star team has the best availible at each position, but everyone knows they belong to different teams Not so with Registry Sets no one knows who the real owner is.

As a matter of fact, I now find the concept of a Registry Set moot.

Carl, slow down and think about what you're saying. Right now you're somewhat irritated, and that can make one go off half-cocked. Do you collect coins solely for the sake of the Registry? I would hasten a guess that you enjoy the hobby for what it is, first and foremost.

I've been playing pool for 53 years, and I've always told fellow players that you are not competing against another person, you are trying to master the table. Heck, if I were more concerned with one-upmanship, I wouldn't even bother posting on these boards because at this stage in my life, everyone here is better off financially than me. Just because "Daddy Big Bucks" has a whole fleet of Ferraris and I am relegated to a 4-year old car, does it mean that I will give up driving? I would bet that every time you add a new coin to your collection, whether it is part of a Registry Set or not, you feel a great sense of self-satisfaction and pride.

Hang in there, my friend. Let Scott do his job. Now that the issue has been broached, I'm sure that the staff at NGC will put their collective minds together to try to do what is best for the majority. I don't doubt but that we will hear more about this at the NGC Luncheon at FUN next month.

Best wishes for the holidays.

Chris

Chris, in no way am I going to stop acquiring coins and building Registry Sets. I will soon be building a Walker set(Having been inspired by MarkT). I've also set a goal of competeing next year in Morgan Dollars 1878-1921 Best Presented.

The intent of my post was to state that since I now realize that Registry Sets may be assembled from the collections of several individuals, I will no longer assume that a single person acquired the coins in the set. Therfore, individual accomplishment is a moot point--we will never know. The Thrill is Gone. By that I mean the "wow" look what that guy did.

I collect because I love to collect. I like learning and talking about coins. Having the realization that some Registry Sets are built collectively will not stop me from doing what I want to do with my collections.

I am taking off the last two weeks of the year. My goals are to spend time with family and friends and to finish photographing all of my Morgans and St. Gaudens to post with my Registry Sets.

Thanks for the kind words.

Best Wishes and Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Carl

Yesterday, I received an email from Barry Stuppler with his newest offerings to his customers. Following are the transcripts of our communications:

My initial message:

Having been a former customer, I've admired the quality coins you have offered for sale. However, having seen the techniques you will use to garner a #1 Morgan Dollar set at NGC, I wish to be removed from your email list. I don't plan on being a customer again.

Mark D. Withstandley

Mr. Stuppler's reply:

Mark,

“techniques you will use to garner a #1 Morgan Dollar set at NGC”

I have no idea what you are talking about, can you explain?

Sure I will remove you from our client email list

Barry

I then steered him to this thread:

This link should explain my feelings. Please read it through as I'm not the only potential future customer you may be losing. BTW, thank you for responding.

Mark

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3646182&fpart=1

He replied:

Mark,

1st the entire Morgan Dollar set you mentioned is owned exclusively by one client in Illinois.

2nd Not all of the coins were purchased from me, he has been collecting for years.

3rd The decision to put the collecting up on the NGC registry was his alone.

4th Putting “Stuppler Family of Clients” as the owner was so he would not be contact with spam.

5th The timing was originally planned for October, but I forgot and let him know after I found out

what the deadline was from another client with a Gold Saint Set on the NGC Registry.

6th All the registry sets on I have listed on PCGS.com and NGC.com are owned by one collectors

or his/her family ( I do not combined collectors into one set)

7th None of the coins in any registry set, (Both PCGS or NGC) are owned by me.

As I believe the registry sets listings are for collectors, not dealers.

I trust I have answered all the key questions. If you have any additional questions to provide

clarity, please email me.

If you would like to post any of my statements on the collectors-society boards, it’s OK with me.

Sincerely,

Barry Stuppler

I responded with a thank you for his prompt and courteous answers and stated that I would post his response on the NGC boards. I also stated that I would remain on his email list and would consider the possibility of future purchases from him.

He acted in a very professional manner throughout the exchange and his reply had a ring of honesty to it.

That is a pretty nice exchange between you and Barry. He handled the conversation much better than many folks would, I imagine, and that makes him appear quite reasonable.

Probably a good indication of why we shouldn't lead out with pitch forks and torches before we have all the facts.......food for thought ;)

On a related note I have only done business with Barry Stuppler one time......I purchased 5 nicely toned raw Mercury Dimes from him probably more than 5 years ago. I held the coins for about 4 months and then decided to send them off to NGC for grading. All 4 coins bagged for cleaning......none of the coins looked cleaned, dipped or AT in hand....and I believe 3 of the 5 were only toned on one side...pretty common. Any way I was out the grading fees and the monies paid for these coins so I contacted Barry to let him know what happened. Not becuase I felt I was entitled to a refund (4-months later) but becuase I wanted to make sure he was aware that he might be getting coins from a bad source. Barry told me they were all end roll coins out of original rolls...which is what I had thought all along and there was no way they were cleaned.

He instructed me to send them back and he would deal with NGC directly and then he refunded my full purchase price paid. Now I don't know about you guys but I would say he went way way way beyond any reasonable expectation to make me whole. I forone was shocked and amazed and to this day I don't have a bad thing to say about him or how he runs his business.