• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blue ribbon on copper

6 posts in this topic

I just purchased a canadian large cent lot.. the lot has some nice coins in it but they were treated with something called blue ribbon and the coins look gunked up. I tried finding out about this stuff and have been told it's a cleaner and leaves a lubricant coating on the surface for protection... how can I get this stuff off so I can get these graded without having them come back altered surfaces..

thanks

Ken

Acetone will remove it, but I suspect it will leave the coin looking kind of "dried up". Most of the time the Blue Ribbon actually improves the appearance of the coin in addition to providing some surface protection. Another alternative would be to use warm water and a mild detergent soup to break down the oil base.

Acetone will remove it, but I suspect it will leave the coin looking kind of "dried up". Most of the time the Blue Ribbon actually improves the appearance of the coin in addition to providing some surface protection. Another alternative would be to use warm water and a mild detergent soup to break down the oil base.

I've used BR and Acetone on some of my copper. While acetone will leave a "dry" surface sometimes, generally my results have been quite pleasant. I found that sometimes you need to just ever so lightly re-apply the BR in a superfine coating after using acetone to give the coin back its natural look.

Cheers

I use BR on all my copper.

I will admit to having used it on a 1955/55 cent that I have had for decades - I sent the coin in to NGC and it came back AU50 so it did not disqualify the coin. Nor the 1909-S I sent in with it.

I put a very light coating, wicking it onto the coin from a q-tip. Then I use a dry QT to pull up what I can and then I just let it sit, a while later after it has dried I use the dry QT again, no pressure.

Marvelous results!

Best on brown coins. Does nothing on red or nickel/silver for me.

Landon