• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your goals for 2010? Post them here!

13 posts in this topic

I enjoyed Astrostu's thread where some of us revisited our 2009 collecting goals which we posted at the beginning of the year. I encourage everyone to post their new goals for 2010, which we will review again at year's end of the new year.

For myself:

Times are still lean here, and unless that changes anytime soon, my 2010 want list is going to reflect that. I will once again continue my strong focus on building core sets: Silver Britannias in MS69 (1998-date) and Birds on Coins. I've finally caught up my Britannia set from 1998-2009, so all I have to worry about this year is the current 2010 issue. Does this mean I should move on to proofs? I sold my 2007 NGC PF69UCAM this year (oh the carnage in my collection!) If I start back into Britannia proofs, one coin I've always wanted was the 1997 proof that started it all.

My Birds on Coins set needs some attention, and I hope to give it some. Ideally, I will be able to pick up the 2009 Belarus silver 10 ruble Greylag Goose issue by the end of 2009 or 2010. I could also add to the Belarus birds theme with the 2007 and 2008 bird coins in their alternate composition (CuNi or silver). I'd like to add a kookaburra back in, and any other birds that are interesting. This is intended to be a flexible, open-ended set.

I sold a lot of my 20th Century US Type Set this year. I'll probably keep a few coins there, but I'm much more interested lately in British coins. I'm not certain I'm 'feeling' the US material lately. I think a Monarch set of British Pennies might be fun to undertake. If I do anything with US coins, I've often thought a 5-cent type set in MS64-65 would be pretty. I don't expect a lot of action here, though. I may or may not bother much with my Jefferson nickels this year.

As before, for my Lincoln cent set, I want to buy the 5 wheat semi-keys and the 1970-S small date I still need. That would leave only the (currently unobtainable) keys and would feel like a real accomplishment to me. My memorial cents would be complete, and the wheaties would be as complete as I'll be able to get them for now. On to the shield cents of 2010!

Overall, in 2010, my main goal is to continue to tread water. I hung onto my Britannias this year, and at times that was really hard. I want to keep things well organized and eliminate the few remaining coins that don't play a strong role in my collection. There are a few coins in my sets needing a photo session. In the upcoming year, I want to be even more focused and work on building strong sets.

Below is my current want list for 2010, listing the coins I am 'allowed' to buy this year.

WANT LIST (2010):

CORE SETS:

Silver Britannias:

2010 NGC/PCGS MS69

Birds on Coins:

2009 Belarus Silver 10 Rubles 'Graylag Goose'

2005 Belarus Silver 20 Rubles Almany Bogs Owl

1988 Hungary 500 Forint Silver Proof Montagu's Falcon

Other attractive world bird coins

SECONDARY SETS:

Lincolns:

1911-S - fine, brown

1912-S - fine, brown

1913-S - fine, brown

1915-S - fine, brown

1924-D - fine, brown

1970-S SD - UNC or AU, RD-BRN

I also responded to the other thread and my response to this one is essnetially the same. I have no plans to do any substantial or even regular buying.

But even if I did, I do not have the option of identifying coins in advance that I can buy in most instances. They simply are not available on demand and in many instances, effectively at all.

I plan on building upgrading further on my U.S. Type set. I am getting where I am starting to need coins in the 2-400 dollar range and above so It will be slow going from here.

My collection is going through an "extreme makeover" in which I am divesting a ton of lesser coins. That process started this year, and will be finished sometime next year. Sadly, part of the reason is to withdraw some funds from my collection. This will be only the second time in ten years that I have had to do so. But I also want to refocus, and need to get rid of a lot of distractions. Unfortunately, my interest in coins touches just about everything, so I really need to work on focus.

This year, I reduced my holes from eleven to ten in my run of proof sets (would have been nine if not for the 1937 proof dime disaster(s)). To fill a hole costs me $500 - $2000, so needless to say, they are filling slowly lol . But they are always my #1 goal.

I am going to push forward with my buffalo nickel collection in EF/AU grades.

I would like to upgrade my 66 SMS set. I'm currently ranked #6 on the PCGS site. I think #3 here. I don't think I'll be doing any work on the CS set, but I would like to upgrade to either a PCGS 68 cam in either the nickel or dime. I'd love to have a quarter in 68 cam or a half in 68 cam, I just don't think I can swing that because they so rarely come up and the competition would be steep!

I wouldn't mind acquiring a 67 dime in 68 cam as well, pcgs holder. I would also like to upgrade my 65 sms set with a quarter in 66 cam to replace the one I currently have in 65 cam. I'd also love to upgrade my dime to a 67 cam but doubt that will happen.

While reserving the right to update this list, here're my goals, mainly the same as for 2009:

(1) Continue to sell off duplicates that I don't want. While I did a good job of liquidating well over $1k (face) in 2009, I still have a few pounds of wheat cents to get rid of and a bunch of recent MS half dollars. Rather than an amputation like last year, though, this will be more of a trimming.

(2) Continue with my general date/mint sets from circulation for "circulating" coins. This includes going through at least 1 box of cents/nickels/dimes/quarters each this year.

(3) Keep up with my annual Mint stuff (proof sets, SAE (if released), etc.).

(4) Pick up the last few remaining International Year of Astronomy coins (e.g., Ukraine) that are affordable and not junko (like the "rotating" coins the Perth mint is releasing ... blech).

(5) Continue to only get coins for my core sets, as in not buying for my Jefferson, Washington, Franklin, nor Peace sets this year 'cause I want to concentrate on other sets: (a) Finish my Ike set with the final MS65 1978D coin. (b) Finish out my Canadian Dinosaur set with whatever they add on for 2011 and keep searching for a 2007. © Continue working on my Silver Britannia and Chinese Silver Panda sets (MS-69). (d) Continue working on my US 20th Century Type Set, picking up the coins I couldn't last year (I have a list but it's too long for this). (e) Maybe add to my SBA set. Kinda losing interest in that at the moment.

(6) STICK TO MY BUDGET!!

Started a Capped Bust Half set recently - I need to decide if I want to do a date set, a set by RedBook Varieties, or the whole set by Overton variety. I'm leaning towards the set by varieties listed in the RedBook.

Looking to add coins in NGC, PCGS, and ANACS holders to the set, in grades up to and including XF45. I'm 4 coins down, no telling how many to go.

I have spent the last two/three years reorganizing the hoard of coins I own i.e. filling Danscos, slabbing higher grade, rolling up lower grade. Next year is the Year of the Sale for me so I can concentrate on completing my type set and trading up.

I wish everyone the best of luck on their goals.

My goal for December is to figure out my goals for 2010. But selling a whole bunch of stuff I no longer need/want sounds like a good place to start. As well as sticking to a budget. I recently looked at how much money I've spent on coins this year, and I was a bit surprised.

If meeting a goal is important, I would recommend to any collector to identify a core set of a few series or type sets and stick with them. That's what I do though it will ultimately depend upon personal preference.

At the moment since I have essentially eliminated my coin budget out of what I consider to be financial prudence, I'm not going to complete anything. But the typical collector has a budget which is less than mine was over the last few years and without some level of discipline, is unlikely to accomplish or complete anything. The lack of discipline also explains why so many (probably most though I cannot prove it) collectors lose money with their collections. I know that making money is not the primary (or possibly a0 goal of most collectors, but I see no point in throwing it away and to a certain extent,I believe it is mostly avoidable.

After defining their core specialities, my next recomendation would be to hold a garage sale and dump the deadwood in their collection. That's what I finally did about three and one half years ago and it was one of the best collecting moves I made. I used that money to buy a handful of coins that were both scarce and high quality.