• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graded Gold

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm curious which broker gives the best deal on 1 oz Gold Buffalo's?

and is it worth the extra money to have these graded? (my thinking, if you have them graded then no one would question their authenticity)

thanks

Honestly, they are probably worth a slight premium NOT certified and with original mint packaging, unless you get a "70".

See if SilverTowne can give you a good price - just google them.

I disagree that they are worth more NOT certified -- as long as the original packaging is retained, you can always bust them out of the slab and return them to their non-certified status.

It's my opinion, that modern gold coins are not worth certifying -- but I am sure there are many who share the opposite point of view.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

The original packaging for MS gold buffaloes is no more than a thin piece of plastic sheet. You can't "return them to their non-certified status" so easily.

And James is right, they do sell for more of a premium non-certified, at least from what I've seen.

I didn't realize they were packaged like that from the mint. Can you submit them to the grading services in their govt packaging requesting a min grade or return as is?

The original packaging for MS gold buffaloes is no more than a thin piece of plastic sheet. You can't "return them to their non-certified status" so easily.

And James is right, they do sell for more of a premium non-certified, at least from what I've seen.

The capsule the Mint uses break easy and unpredictably. It is difficult to break them in a way to restore them in the original packaging. The capsules are made by Unicover and not sold as a retail item. Unicover sells a lot of Philatelic Numismatic Covers (PNC; coins and stamps) and uses them for their own covers.

I recently sold a Proof Gold Buffalo. I offered to have it slabbed for the buyer and he turned down the offer. He wanted the coin in the original Mint packaging. One is not a trend, but it seems to fit what other people are saying.

Scott :hi:

The capsule the Mint uses break easy and unpredictably. It is difficult to break them in a way to restore them in the original packaging. The capsules are made by Unicover and not sold as a retail item. Unicover sells a lot of Philatelic Numismatic Covers (PNC; coins and stamps) and uses them for their own covers.

I recently sold a Proof Gold Buffalo. I offered to have it slabbed for the buyer and he turned down the offer. He wanted the coin in the original Mint packaging. One is not a trend, but it seems to fit what other people are saying.

Scott :hi:

I thought proofs were a bad idea, just buying bullion was the better way. (shrug)

I didn't realize they were packaged like that from the mint. Can you submit them to the grading services in their govt packaging requesting a min grade or return as is?

Unless things have changed from the last time I submitted (and it could be) the answer is no.

MS gold Buffs are sold by the US Mint in plastic sheets with each coin in its own compartment within the sheet. These sheets can then be cut up and the pieces sold individually. To me, it would be folly to have them graded. PF gold Buffs are in much nicer packaging, but I believe unless they grade out at 70 that they sell for more when ungraded.