• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Won an auction-No delivery

13 posts in this topic

Well, this is a first for me. I won an 1885 Morgan dollar on EBay.It's in an NNC slab graded 65 DMPL. I'm sure it's not going to be a full dmpl,but I think you'll all agree, looking at the photos it looks like a decent 85 Morgan for the price I paid,$36.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230395506330&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I admit,I had some red flags on this purchase when I looked at the shipping cost and then compared it to his other coins.It seems he charges higher shipping on lesser grading companies slabbed coins.But honestly,I didn't think I'd win it at even my high bid of $45.00.

I paid on the 9th of Nov. by Paypal.On Nov.11th I received an e-mail update that my coin had shipped. It's now the 25th and no sign o it.In the meantime I've gotten 4 or 5 other coins delivered.

So,today I e-mailed the seller telling him I will wait another week and file for a refund. He replied:

Q: Hello Mr. Rudden, I am very sorry to hear that the coin has still not yet arrived. According to the post office, the item should have arrived within 10 days of shipping, so I fear that it may be lost, as it has been almost two weeks since it was shipped. I wish I could provide you with a tracking number, but as I mentioned before, as a practice I don't use that for items under $100 unless specifically requested to do so. Obviously you are entitled to a full refund including shipping and handling. I will have to wait for a period of at least 21 days to file a claim with the Post Office, but you are free to file for a refund whenever you would like. It is not necessary to file a complaint, but you are welcome to if you wish. I really appreciate your cooperation and understanding in this unfortunate matter and apologize for any inconvenience you may have incurred. Please contact me at any time with any other concerns or questions you may have. Thank You, Thomas

Okay, how is he going to make a claim at the P.O. without a tracking # ? I'm thinking the price was too low and he doesn't want to sell at that price.Think I'm off base? Jumping the gun?

He doesn't need a tracking number....he just needs a receipt showing he shipped the coin with insurance. Everything he told you in his response seems to be on the level as their is a waiting period for him to file with the PO etc.

He should refund your money and then wait to be reimbursed by the PO.

His policy sounds similar to mine when I was selling on eBay. I self-insured and didn't track items under $50 or so (I would use $150 today since the P.O. has changed insurance thresholds). Certainly, he could be playing games if he really wanted to keep what appears to be a decent Morgan, but in my similar experiences, there's no way to prove it. The only think I would do differently if I were him would be to refund you immediately.

Good luck!

Well, on the chance that he's telling the truth,and like I told him,I'll wait another week. But man,I get a tracking number on everything.I go through ebay/Paypal/Pitney Bowes for shipping and even with First class/no insurance you get a tracking number for a total of $1.75 to ship a coin. He's charging 7x that.Doesn't make sense not to.

But,doesn't the P.O give you tracking info when you purchase insurance? I thought it was required.

The seller is being completely accommodating.

And you're jumping the gun a little, in my opinion. I had a First Class package take 10 days recently, from NC to CO. Also remember that Veteran's Day fell around the time your coin was shipped, so that could be slowing the process (combined with Turkey Day this week)

Give it a little more time to arrive. I'd say if it's not there within the 21 days, then you can file for a refund.

Well, on the chance that he's telling the truth,and like I told him,I'll wait another week. But man,I get a tracking number on everything.I go through ebay/Paypal/Pitney Bowes for shipping and even with First class/no insurance you get a tracking number for a total of $1.75 to ship a coin. He's charging 7x that.Doesn't make sense not to.

But,doesn't the P.O give you tracking info when you purchase insurance? I thought it was required.

No insurance has nothing to do with tracking and to date.....on some 5 or 6 thousand Ebay transaction I have never purchased or had purchased a tracking number. In 10 years only 2 items have ever some up missing and I refunded the buyers costs and was fully reimbursed buy the USPS.

I don't see the point of tracking the package if I pay for insurance as if it doesn't arrive I will file a claim.

Based on his feedback and response to you he appears to be an honest seller selling a bad coin. There is a waiting period to file a Insurance claim with the Post Office. Tracking has nothing to do with Insurance , they are totally separate items. I ship USPS Priority with tracking because all my sales are over $ 250 , expensive stuff I ship Priority Mail which can take over a week to deliver.

That coin is Not DMPL and not an MS 65 . My bet is the coin is cleaned. National Numismatic Certification is a self slabbing operation. Just Google them.

I will say that for the price he charged you for shipping he could have included tracking. That package if sent regular first class probably cost him about $ 3 to ship.

If you don't get the coin just watch his auction over the next few months to see if it is listed again .

Based on his feedback and response to you he appears to be an honest seller selling a bad coin. There is a waiting period to file a Insurance claim with the Post Office. Tracking has nothing to do with Insurance , they are totally separate items. I ship USPS Priority with tracking because all my sales are over $ 250 , expensive stuff I ship Priority Mail which can take over a week to deliver.

That coin is Not DMPL and not an MS 65 . My bet is the coin is cleaned. National Numismatic Certification is a self slabbing operation. Just Google them.

I will say that for the price he charged you for shipping he could have included tracking. That package if sent regular first class probably cost him about $ 3 to ship.

If you don't get the coin just watch his auction over the next few months to see if it is listed again .

Mark,

If you read my original post I pointed out I knew what I was/wasn't getting.I'm not an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.I know you don't get 65 DMPL's for $40.00.But you can get 64 DMPL's for $30.00(I did).That's not the point.

It looked like a decent coin even though the pictures were dark..I still don't get it.I was under the impressiion,in order to get insurance you get a tracking number automatically.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Mark,

If you read my original post I pointed out I knew what I was/wasn't getting.I'm not an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.I know you don't get 65 DMPL's for $40.00.But you can get 64 DMPL's for $30.00(I did).That's not the point.

It looked like a decent coin even though the pictures were dark..I still don't get it.I was under the impressiion,in order to get insurance you get a tracking number automatically.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

That's like thinking you have to get an ankle tracker from your life insurance company lol

:kidaround:

Mark,

Happy Thanksgiving all.

I did read your original post , you said you thought it probably was not a DMPL.

I would not trust the grade given on any NNC coin , they are one of those companies that overgrade by more then just a point. Ok $ 40 - very low risk so its not a big deal .

The seller's response appears largely reasonable and, as has been posted already, tracking numbers do not automatically come with insurance; they are two different services. If you believe the item is lost then you should receive a refund from the seller directly or through PayPal if the seller will not accomodate the request. It is up to the seller to receive the payout from his/her insurance carrier regardless of private insurance or USPS insurance. You may, however, have to fill out some forms for the seller in the event of a claim.

The coin i most likely lost. It's not a big deal.When I first contacted the seller it was almost 2 weeks after the auction.I contacted him a few days later asking for trackig info or any other info.I said I could wait another week before I would ask for a refund OR file as dispute if no refund was forthcoming.One or the other party has to file a dispute to recover fees and whatnot. You've read his reply. I just thought the info on the tracking was fishy.