• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First image of 2010 Silver Britannia - New design

12 posts in this topic

This is the first image I've seen of the new silver britannia

BR10AGN_2.jpg

BR10AGN_1.jpg

Notice that the coin says "fine gold" - this just illustrates the design - but that's what

Royal Mint Website has to illustrate their Silver Britannias for sale. They're currently up for sale at £22.50 + £2 shipping (UK) or £19.57 + £10 shipping (USA).

Also new, "the coin is held in an attractive gift box with a Certificate of Authenticity," which may hopefully mean that the RM has finally heard everyone's complaints about their horrible packaging for earlier years. Could this be the year when they start to do it right?

This may be my new, favorite issue in the series. I can't wait to see it in-hand.

For the Britannia family of 2010, a new serene portrait has been created by Suzie Zamit who explains: I wanted to portray Britannia as strong (almost Amazonian) and courageous looking, but not overly warlike; more peaceful and protective. I have given her a Corinthian-style helmet and incorporated a lion on the design: the lion being the national symbol of courage - I wanted to emphasize the strong and watchful connotations - and this also links in with Greek and Roman coinage which display many animals.

* Large and handsome, the Britannia silver £2 contains a full ounce of fine silver

* Boasts a new, serene profile portrait of Britannia

* New for 2010, the coin is held in an attractive gift box with a Certificate of Authenticity.

Making a very patriotic gift, the Britannia £2 coin in its attractive gift box would make an ideal memento of a special family occasion due in 2010[/Quote]

At least she's wearing something on her head, which was the complaint with the 2007 coin!

Also, Britannia Silver is 95.84% silver and the balance copper. The coin has 1 troy ounce of silver making it weigh more than a troy ounce in its final form. The American Silver Eagle is 99.9% silver.

Scott

Sorry to hijack Michael...

Last year I ordered a box of Britannias from the UK mint and distributed them to the other board members.

I'm thinking of doing something similar this year.

I think that I could probably get them in at a price of $30 - $35 ea, depending on the silver price, GBP exchange rate, and shipping.

Please PM me if you have any interest.