• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All mint damage?

10 posts in this topic

It's a partial brockage (likely from another quarter), unquestionably a mint error. When this coin was struck, a second, already struck coin rested partially upon the blank. Thus we can see some distorted incused lettering in the brockage area, and the reeding from the edge of the previously struck coin. The reverse of the coin is normal, as it was resting on the reverse die as it normally would be.

Here are some similar partial brockages; the quarter also shows the reeding marks.

1c-1990-partial_brockage.jpg

25c-1965-partial_brockage.jpg

One more thing to note: the strongest strike on the reverse of your coin is the area directly opposite the struck-thru area, because there was additional thickness between the dies at this point, concentrating the strike somewhat.

On hammer or vice jobs, the area opposite the fake strike thru is typically damaged with the strike not stronger, but rather nearly or totally obliterated.

I am slightly concerned with the marks I see on the obverse around the device. I believe that is a partial brockage strike as well. Ballpark of $60 +/-$25 depending on a buyer.

I am slightly concerned with the marks I see on the obverse around the device. I believe that is a partial brockage strike as well. Ballpark of $60 +/-$25 depending on a buyer.

Note: The seller states the coin when through a counting machine and because of it's un-uniformity, received some jam scrapes.