• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early proof Jefferson nickels

12 posts in this topic

As you may already know, the early proof Jefferson nickels (1938-42) were not minted with sandblasted dies or dies that would otherwise readily impart a cameo device. That's why in the population reports, there are only a handful of coins in these years that have attained the cameo designation, with none having been given the DCAM/UCAM designation with PCGS or NGC. (OOPS! I stand corrected - Carl Wolforth (below) adds that one 1942 T2 has been designated DCAM!) One can only surmise that ANY nickels from '38-'42 with a cameo appearance are among the very first struck for the year.

I recently picked up a 1939 PF67 PCGS Jeff (rev of 38, the common rev for this year's proofs) (see attached) that has a nice obverse cameo and only light reverse cam. The reverse cam is only to be found on the high points and edges of the devices (the deepest parts of the dies that were less impacted by each individual strike). This coin I consider quite rare, even though it does not have the cameo designation, since neither NGC nor PCGS record a cam proof from that year.

To give you an idea of how rare these are, a recent Heritage sale failed to sell a 1942 PF67 CAM PCGS for about 8.5 grand bid, but then sold it after the auction for 10 grand. 893whatthe.gif I did not pay anywhere near that for the example I've just posted! grin.gif

Post some pics of your favorite Jeff proofs!

Hoot

589a8bc005f9f_373142-1939rev38Jeff5cPF67PCGS.jpg.c8865c002f88ea0b08ab9ac55a92659f.jpg

That’s a nice looking proof Jeff nickel you have there Hoot!

The earliest proof Jeff I own is a 1953 in PF-67, but it shows no trace of cameo. One of the other Jeff proofs I own is a 1956 that I found in a proof set a few years back. It shows a good deal of cameo, so I sent it into NGC to be graded and it came back as PF-68*. I guess NGC thought that it showed enough cameo to rate the ‘*’, but not enough to get a CAM designation. It’s a really nice looking coin, but I just can’t seem to be able to get a good image of it, the glare is awful. 893frustrated.gif

I do have a photo of another one of my proof Jeff’s though, and it is one of the nicest deep cameo Jeff’s I have seen. It is not an early proof, but it is nice.

373205-1978s%20jeff%20pf%20obv.jpg373207-1978s%20jeff%20pf%20rev.jpg

John

Hi John - great '78 nick there! A PF68* in a '56 is one great looking coin too, I'm sure! Wish you could get a nice pic of it. Maybe NGC would consider it in appearance review for the CAM.

The early 50s coins are tough with CAM and UCAM also, as Carl Wolforth would tell you. Great to look for in original mint sets, but real tough to come by like you did!

I'll have to wait until tomorrow, but I have a great looking 1940 rev. of 38 to post a pic of. Great colors. smile.gif

Hoot

Hoot, really nice example of that year! I especially like the "haze" on Jeff. Almost gives it a third dimension of extra depth I find very attractive. If I still had my Jeff PRs (ahem), I would put up the PR67 I had. It was a beauty!

BTW, I sent both you and Dena a PM about MY PM problem, same day we talked...have heard nothing from either one of you so I guess I still have a "problem". Have you PMed Dena yet? Might help me out.

David

Very nice proof Jeff Hoot! I love the early ones that show any cameo contrast. I also like colorful hazy ones.

The DCAM coins from the 50s are very scarce. I sold a few in PR 68 DCAM last year and they brought very strong money. People keep looking but the pop reports are not increasing. BTW there is one 1942-P (type 2) in PCGS PR 66 DCAM. I've seen that coin in person.

I have a '38 and '40 that show decent contrast. I had to pay a premium for them. They are in the safe deposit box so I can't get new photos of them. I want to take new photos of everything as I have a new camera. It seems to do super well with proof Jeffs.

The proof War nickel seems to be the easiest to find with some cameo contrast. I think perhaps it is because of the silver in the coin, maybe that makes it a little softer or something? Anyway here is a new photo of a neat '42-P. This one is graded PF 66 by NGC.

1942P-jeff-pr66-o.jpg

1942P-jeff-pr66-r.jpg

Thanks David, thanks Carl! Coming from you two, those are real compliments!

Carl - I had no idea there was a DCAM '42! What a coin that must be. Still, I like that '42 you have there quite a bit! I'm surprised, given the photo, that it did not get the CAM designation. Seems NGC is pretty tough on that attribution. BTW, I agree with you that the softer metal composition of the wartime nickels made for a better likelihood that they would have a cameo contrast in the devices.

As promised, attached is my 1940 reverse of '38 (note the wobbly steps. I originally picked this one up in an ANACS slab in Baltimore last year. It was graded PF64. I crossed to to PCGS and it notched up a grade to PF65! It's a very pretty and original coin.

Hoot

589a8bc00b673_373906-1940rev38Jeff5cPR65PCGS.jpg.440844b75eac57192b542e32aaa886a8.jpg

I think the lapel on my Jeff isn't well frosted, it is in shadow in my photo. If these are graded to the same standard as any more recent proof Jeff this shouldn't get cameo. However I do have some 50s NGC cameos that are comparable. I'm not sure when it was graded, I might send it in hoping for a star.

That is a nice '40 w/ reverse of '38! Those are tough coins to find.

Carl - I have found this generally true that the early proof Jeffs (1954 and before) are given a little leniency with the CAM, as it comes from a different process of manufacture. I only vaguely recall that the Mint started frosting proof devices for nickels around 1955, but don't hold me to that. (If you or anyone has better and more detailed information, I'd appreciate the comment). Anyway, the early nickels frosted only with the fresh dies and once the frosting from the die manufacture wore off (which was pretty fast), then the coins were simply brilliant, as intended.

Post more pics of early (or other!) proof Jeffs!

Hoot

Nice '55 there! It looks to have really good mirror like fields.

I will get a few early proof Jeffs from my safe deposit box when I put my most recently purchased nickel in it. My latest nickel is not proof, nor is it a Jeff, but it is very early (picture below). I'll get my '56 Jeff which is my only remaining DCAM Jeff from the 50s. I'll also get my '40 which has slight cameo contrast as well as my '41 which has very cool color. Don't hold your breath, it may take me a few days...

1866-rays-ms65-r.jpg

Great looking shield Carl! With rays is my favorite of the shield designs. I look forward to seeing the Jeffs you mentioned. cool.gif Why only one DCAM from the 50s left? Did not know you sold your collection. frown.gif

Hoot