• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Completely Absurd!

48 posts in this topic

My 2 ¢'s plus 14 more . grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Light is made up of electromagnetic waves.

The distance between 2 crests in this wave is called the wavelength.

White light contains all the colors of the rainbow.

All the colors in white light have different wavelengths.

Red light has the longest wavelength.

Red light's wavelength is larger than oxygen atoms are big.

When red light passed through the atmosphere, its long wavelength causes it to pass through the atmosphere without being scattered.

Blue light has a much, much shorter wavelength than red light.

The wavelength of blue light is shorther than oxygen atoms are big.

Many of the blue light waves from the sun collide with the oxygen atoms.

When such blue light waves try to go straight through an oxygen atom, its light is scattered in all directions because of this collision.

This scattered blue light is what makes the sky blue.

All other colors (with longer wavelengths than blue light) are scattered too.

Blue light's short wavelength causes it to be scattered the most.

(The shorther the wavelength of the color, the more that color gets scattered by the atmosphere)

Actually, violet has the shortest wavelength of all colors. Violet is scattered even more than blue light. However, our eyes are much more able to see blue than violet, therefore we see the sky as blue.

A photon is one of those thingies the Klingons shoot at ya when you get too close to the neutral zone. shocked.gif

I'll say this - this thread sure has an appropriate title !!

Photons are energy packets of electromagnetic radiation, usually given the symbol γ<- Keyboard Error <- ; (the third Greek letter, gamma). Light consists of photons. They can be produced in a variety of ways, including emission from electrons as they change energy states or orbitals. Photons can also be created by nuclear transitions, particle-antiparticle annihilation or any fluctuations in an electromagnetic field which gives rise to electromagnetic radiation.

This answer is available almost anywhere.

I'll trade you 3 photons for your wheat penny.

If I would have saw the last post I would have droped It lol. grin.gif

There you go again. Spreading oil on turbulent waters.

Because I like rainbows wink.gif

So if oil is homogenous why does it appear as a rainbow on troubled waters?

Because folks like rainbows and it calms them down when they see one smirk.gif

Thank you! I am still having a little trouble with that "the sky is blue nonsense" though! I'll accept the idea that some light waves are scattered but how can you know they're blue to everybody? Oh sure we all see the same color when we look at the "blue" sky but who's to say one mans "blue" isn't another man's "red"? Perhaps this is one of the greatest determinants of individual differences; the different colors we see. Imagine if everytime you looked at the sky it appeared to be yellow- - why sure you'd be cranky.

It is this all pervasive COLORISM which is so prevalent nowdays which causes all the troubles of mankind!

Please don't post more nonsense about the sky being blue!

03 (Ozone) represents three Oxygen atoms linked together. Light is also reflected through Ozone as well as Oxygen. Funny that when Ozone is compressed it also turns into a blue liquid. No color at all is shown when Oxygen is compressed.

COINHOLEIO,

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

Ya know,,,,,,, I try and start an intelligent thread bashing PCGS and it turns into a plethora of incorrect physics information, inane musings, and who knows what else!

That's it, I'm going back to the Cuban cigar forums.

dragon

Perhaps your goals were completely absurd or is it this post?

Incorrect physics? I liked the one about the scattering of light and mother Earth. They were poetic. ...and blue ozone... one could write a sonnet to that. What do Cuban cigars have that this thread doesn't ... blue smoke? Mirrors. We need mirrors. Just once in a blue moon.