• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCI 10 digit slabs-no respect?

8 posts in this topic

Why is it I can find people all day long that say these old PCI 10 digit slabs are accurately graded, worth buying and even sough after.But,If I try to sell a couple like these two on Ebay,I can't get more than $75.00 or $80.00 each? I guess these two will be going in on my Early bird coupons for this year along with my 86 Green Monster Morgan,1892 Proof IHC and one other to be determined.Another question is,bust 'em out or leave the in the slab?BTW, I've had terrible grading results with gold label PCI DMPL's.

79SPCIDMfull1.jpg

79SPCIDMfull2.jpg

80SDMPCIfull.jpg

80SPCIrev.jpg

I found this site.It mentions 10-digit,fourteen digit and finally 9 digit slabs.

http://www.k6az.com/pci/pci.htm

For MS64's...that's the price I would expect in those holders.....I think the grading was close in those holders but there is no way the DMPL designations would hold up today. So take a look at what common date Morgans in 64 PL sell for...then factor in that most folks are going to have to spend $30 to get the coins into the 64PL holders and I think you can see why they aren't worth more than $75 to $80 bucks (thumbs u

One other thing I forgot to mention is the Early S-mints are basically semi-PL anyway as struck so for them to get the PL and DMPL designations from NGC and PCGS they have to be knockouts PL+ and DMPL+ coins vs other coins from the Philly and New Orleans mints.

I'm 99% sure they are both full dmpls. They stack up nicely against this one,both sides.I submitted this raw last year. I guess the only way to prove it is to crack 'em out and submit.I'm getting this years 5 coupons anyway.

1880SDMPL641.jpg

I'm 99% sure they are both full dmpls. They stack up nicely against this one,both sides.I submitted this raw last year. I guess the only way to prove it is to crack 'em out and submit.I'm getting this years 5 coupons anyway.

1880SDMPL641.jpg

I agree.....prove me wrong :wishluck::applause:

After PCI changed ownership, their grading standards became very liberal and the PCI brand carried a stigma with knowledgeable collectors. Also, there is no longer any guarantee of grade or even authenticity since PCI went out of business. For all intents and purposes, these are treated the same as raw coins.

After PCI changed ownership, their grading standards became very liberal and the PCI brand carried a stigma with knowledgeable collectors. Also, there is no longer any guarantee of grade or even authenticity since PCI went out of business. For all intents and purposes, these are treated the same as raw coins.

thanks.I'm aware of most of PCI's history.I've had really bad experiences with PCI gold label coins.Two Morgans were altered surfaces and one 1908 MS 65 Indian cent had a scratch over the date that made it ungradeable.I could barely make it out.

I was just wondering if these two are the 10 digit serial # slabs people look for.Apparently the early 10 digit slabs contain some very nice coins.I can see these two are different from each other by the placement of the DMPL designation.I really just noticed that. I guess it really doesn't matter.They are going to NGC as soon as I get my new submission packet.

Well here is what I think will happen, both will get downgraded to PL and the 80-s knocked down one grade to 63PL. It may just be frost breaks but it does'nt look as clean as that 80-s you posted. As to the whole 10 digit thing, at one time several yrs ago you could find some undergraded coins in the 10 digit holders and thay obtained a rep just like the PCGS rattlers and NGC fatties did/have for upgrades. But unless you got these from a long closely held collection where the coins have been off the mrket for some time its most likely that dealers have decided that these have a slim or no chance at crossing/upgrading.