• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toning?

15 posts in this topic

Thinking of submitting this to NGC. For some reason I had to turn the brightness all the way down to -2 to get a picture.I angled it towards the ceiling light,otherwise the colors came out way too dark. So,the colors are washed out. It goes from olive to light green to light blue,darker blue,to that russet and yellow arc. Really nice vibrant colors.The shape looks natural,there aren't any spots but I'm not positive. The reverse is white.What do you all think?

86green.jpg

I think the colors and toning pattern are completely consistent with a crescent toned Morgan Dollar and the coin will probably grade MS63 with a possibility of a star designation. I own a coin with almost the exact same toning pattern.

MorganDollar1887NGCMS64Star15519-4.jpg

Both of Yours has more red with the green.I like them. I know that alot of Green is not common,that's why I was thinking Star as well. From my picture the green looks very thin.It's not.It' sdarker and the whole coin has nice luster.

The star designation is meaningless. Eye appeal is completely subjective. Nice coins though.

Isn't TPG grading itself now subjective when it boils down to it?

I love the *star* program and I think it's one of the few things that NGC has out marketed the guys across the street on.................jmo opinion which is not subjective :grin:

MJ

Nice Coin, most likely MS-63-MS-63*. There appears to be alot of bag marks on the face though well contained in the cheek area. The fields are clean and bright and the colors seem vibrant without the darker areas you sometimes see. Did you buy this coin with the toning or did it occur over the years and if so under what conditions?

Nice Coin, most likely MS-63-MS-63*. There appears to be alot of bag marks on the face though well contained in the cheek area. The fields are clean and bright and the colors seem vibrant without the darker areas you sometimes see. Did you buy this coin with the toning or did it occur over the years and if so under what conditions?

Hi,

The bag marks are definitely exaggerated in the photo.I think it has a good chance of a 64. I actually bought it raw and pretty inexpensive which is why I asked about the toning. If it grades I think it'll get a star too.

No grading itsef is not completely subjective. You can count how many ticks etc a coin has. You can pretty much quantify strike. Eye appeal however is completely subjective so its basically meaningless. I havea few NGC stars but certainly didnt buy them for that.

No grading itsef is not completely subjective. You can count how many ticks etc a coin has. You can pretty much quantify strike. Eye appeal however is completely subjective so its basically meaningless. I havea few NGC stars but certainly didnt buy them for that.

When I bought the coin,I had no intention of submitting it for grading.I've had it for awhile now.First,my membership had expired,I was wanting to use my cash for more coins and I wasn't sure the toning was natural. Since I've re-joined the Collectors society,I decided to see what I had to grade. Alot of people saw this one and said probable star.And looking at it in hand,I've seen worse in NGC 64 holders.Seriously.