• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions please

13 posts in this topic

Hey all,

My Ebay auction for this coin just closed. I listed it with a $47.00 open bid. Got no bids. What grade would you give this Indian cent,if any? As you see,it has a couple minimal spots but it may be the shield that bothered bidders? In MS 64 this coin is listed fby numismedia at $150. I think it's a very pretty coin. Thanks

97IHCraw1.jpg

97IHCraw2.jpg

decent coin weak strike on the shield as it is a later die state so the obverse is somewhat mushy the reverse even moreso and the shield is usually the worse for weakness if anything on the reverse also the wreath is somewhat mushy

not bad or good just the way it is

still a decent clean nicely eye appealling coin

the barely minimal spots dont bother ne in the least and the coin has good eye appeal and decent surfaces

i grade this coin au-58+ a super duper slider 59 with a weakly struck reverse i guess on a good day it could go ms-62 but for this coin au-58 or ms-62 it is worth the same

I think the slab grade of this coin would be MS-63, Brown. It could go lower if the flat spots at the bottom of the wreath are wear and not strike. Given the spots and the flat strike, I can't see this coin getting any better than MS-63.

Gray Sheet type coin bid for MS-63 Brown Indian cents is $31. The bid is $37 in MS-64 brown. The 1897 Indian is a slightly better date, but it does not make a lot of difference. You open of $47 was just too high. Given the economy, $31 might be too high, but I suppose it's worth a shot.

I think you're looking at a MS-62BN/RB slab...I wouldn't be shocked to see an AU-58, but I think it's mainly a weaker strike. I think the spots are somewhat distracting. I could see 63 but as Bill said no higher. I think the color could very well be RB, but without seeing it in hand that's near impossible. To check the color hold the coin vertically with the bottom of the coin on a sheet of white paper in natural light. If the coin appears dark it's a brown, if it has a fair bit of mint lustre then RB...

Looks like there's a hairline on the obverse at around 5 o'clock between the 7 in the date and the A in America and one on the reverse at around one o'clock directly under the right side of the shield. Can't say for sure because it's not in hand but that kind of impairment would drop the value substantially regardless of details grade.

Well,strangely enough,the cent is bid just under $37.00 with another day to go.Hmm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250525946853&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

I guess people like playing the game.It sold for $52.00.Five bucks more than my original start price.How about that,Mr.Fung.(obscure Ojay reference)

Well,strangely enough,the cent is bid just under $37.00 with another day to go.Hmm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250525946853&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

I guess people like playing the game.It sold for $52.00.Five bucks more than my original start price.How about that,Mr.Fung.(obscure Ojay reference)

You've definitely stumbled upon the formula for my previous success on eBay - start everything at 1c/no reserve.