• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walker 1943 & 44D grade ? *From unopened roll*

9 posts in this topic

Can anyone give me a bit of direction . I realize I could use better pics as usual , but I tried about 100 times and hopefully you guys can see and/or at least give me your general grading opinion.

I have about 100 from 5 rolls that were basically unopened. I'm trying to determine what grading standards come into play when you are hoping for 65 + , 66 , etc. grade and whether to slab. All these coins are obviously mint and very lustious. About 1/2 though have the "cloud" ring toward the right middle from the roll , etc. Several also have some minor marks/scratches in that field as well. My real question is do either of these keep a coin from grading 66 , 65 etc ?

Here are some pics of a couple of them.

Thanks!

Brian~

mintwalkersgradingcsociety023.jpg

mintwalkersgradingcsociety027.jpgmintwalkersgradingcsociety015.jpg

It is very difficult to give an opinion based on those pictures.

You need to use good lighting without the flash .

Also if your camera has macro mode I suggest using it for your coin photos.

I see plenty of bag marks even under the bad lighting. I would estimate they are in the 63 - 64 range. I don't see any full thumbs which is what the high end collector looks for. Breast feathers are too shiny / too lit up to tell if they are fully raised up. Those are the things you need to look for to see if they are worth spending money on to get graded. They do appear to have nice luster though.

I can't tell you how many rolls I've gone through. The fact is that most of the coins in rolls of Walkers are going to grade MS-63, and very rarely will you hit a gem. Now, it's different with Roosevelts, or Jefferson nickels - those rolls frequently yield gems, which is why they are far too common to be worth certifying.

Tough to tell from your photos, but an excellent rule-of-thumb is - don't expect it to be worth your while to get half-dollars from unopened rolls certified. It takes patient searching to find those gems (and lots of rolls)!

It is very difficult to give an opinion based on those pictures.

You need to use good lighting without the flash .

Also if your camera has macro mode I suggest using it for your coin photos.

BTW , that was macro mode w/ no flash. lol

bhhooks22---- To be honest, I really balk a lot when folks want opinions on Walkers---when they want you to guess from pictures whether a coin is a "gem" 65 or a 66 coin.

Your pictures simply "don't allow" one to truely make that judgement. So, in response, one must sort of give "SAFE ADVICE"----and hope that that helps.

Most Unc 1944D Walkers are common in decent grades. Population reports from NGC and PCGS and ANACS will support this. There are literally thousands of graded MS65 coins out there. The key is to know the series----and how to grade them.

Your coin looks to be decently struck---but has chatter in the open field above the motto of "In God We Trust". You can't really see the center Eagle's chest feathers. The coin looks like it has luster but that could just be the photo. You can't make a "final" judgement on the grade IMHO.

So, I have a thought. If you can't get better pictures for us----pick just the "best" coins that you think that you have. Those with the fewest marks---the best looking "cartwheel" luster---the coins with the best thumb and finger separation----the coins where the Eagle's chest feathers are the best detailed. And, then send just a couple in to either NGC and/or PCGS. Call it a learning experience----send in the very best that you think that you have----and see what happens. If they come back as MS66, then you can send a few more. If they come back as MS63 or 64----STOP and realize that you would be wasting your money to send any more----probably.

That is the best that I can say---without better pictures. Naturally, it would be much easier with the coins in hand----but that we CANNOT do here. Best of luck. Bob [supertooth]

I agree with Bob's advice on WLH's as usual. I'd also like to add that if the "strong point" of your coins is a satiny luster then you'd be better off submitting to PCGS who will often overlook some chatter and a weaker strike if the luster is bold. Conversely if the coin is well-struck and has "cleaner" fields, then I would submit to NGC who is the stricter grader of Walker's and places a greater grade premium on these attributes for this series...... IMO...

I agree with Bob's advice on WLH's as usual. I'd also like to add that if the "strong point" of your coins is a satiny luster then you'd be better off submitting to PCGS who will often overlook some chatter and a weaker strike if the luster is bold. Conversely if the coin is well-struck and has "cleaner" fields, then I would submit to NGC who is the stricter grader of Walker's and places a greater grade premium on these attributes for this series...... IMO...

Thanks ! (thumbs u :gossip:Glad I sent to PGCS.

B~