• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying overseas

7 posts in this topic

Curious, if you were to purchase 1 oz gold bars in countries like Philippines or Indonesia,

with the exchange rate would you be able to purchase at a substantial discount?

not sure if 1 oz gold bars are available for sale and if so, if they would be legit.

Curious, if you were to purchase 1 oz gold bars in countries like Philippines or Indonesia,

with the exchange rate would you be able to purchase at a substantial discount?

i do not think so

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not sure if 1 oz gold bars are available for sale----OH MANY FOR SALE AT MANY SIFFERENT DEALERS and if so, if they would be legit.--OH YES MANY ARE LEGIT AND A FEW ARE NOT

for example

in the philippines 1,125.00 USD = 52,869.37 PHP

United States Dollars Philippines Pesos

so you will still need to pay 52,869.37 php or 1125 usd

and of course there are many sellers of legit gold one ounce bars in the philippines weather they give you a legit one is another matter

same with indonesia but in their currency and more than likely the sellers of gold one ounce bars in indonesia will not want their native currency in payment and this might possibly be true of the philippines

Gold is an internationally traded commodity with a known market price, so why should it sell at a discount at all? Trying to buy it at a discount in this manner would most likely only work under the assumption that the seller would be ignorant of the market price of gold which is unlikely. In actuality, most of these sellers probably are business people who have more business sense than the typical consumer from a country like the United States. That's how they survive.

Gold is an internationally traded commodity with a known market price, so why should it sell at a discount at all?

Agreed, an if you WERE able to buy at a discount I would think the likelyhood of the gold bars turning out to be fake of "substandard" fineness would be high.

Gold is an internationally traded commodity with a known market price, so why should it sell at a discount at all?

Agreed, an if you WERE able to buy at a discount I would think the likelyhood of the gold bars turning out to be fake of "substandard" fineness would be high.

Absolutely.

Gold is an internationally traded commodity with a known market price, so why should it sell at a discount at all? Trying to buy it at a discount in this manner would most likely only work under the assumption that the seller would be ignorant of the market price of gold which is unlikely. In actuality, most of these sellers probably are business people who have more business sense than the typical consumer from a country like the United States. That's how they survive.

I was thinking since the USD was 47 to 1...you might get a deal but now I see it's

based on USD.

Yes, unfortunately (for the buyer anyway), that is how it works. But this is actually independent of the fact that commodities are generally or exclusively priced in USD.

For example, silver today sells for about $18 which equals about 12 EUR. But if it was priced in EUR, it would still cost the same to everybody.