• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FSH: Two beautiful $3 Gold Pieces: 1874-P , 1882-P

11 posts in this topic

For sale here only, I have a couple of charming $3 Gold pieces.

Please PM me if you are interested in either piece. If you wish to discuss either coin on the phone, PM me and I will give you my number. I have not established an asking price, but the first fair offer will take the coins.

I ship all coins by USPS Registered Mail, fully insured, at my expense. Payments can be made by check, money order, or cashier's check. I have decided to stop doing business with paypal. If you insist on an online payment method, I am working out the kinks on my new moneybookers account, and that may work for us.

1874-P: Elegant pumpkin-orange toning. Fully original surfaces. Looks to be in the MS-62 range.

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

1882-P: Bright luster, and an unusually sharp strike. In fact one of the sharpest strikes I have seen on a $3 Gold piece. One of the lower mintage US coins.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

Check previous posts. This is the same person that posted an emergency sale of alot of ungraded high value Morgans. He never anwsered a PM request for photos and additional info.

I don't think that 74 looks too much like a MS-62...the angles seem to be covering up quite a bit of marking...the 82 looks off in general, the obverse just says "HEY" I don't know why...

<< Originally Posted By: $ilverHawk

Check previous posts. This is the same person that posted an emergency sale of alot of ungraded high value Morgans. He never anwsered a PM request for photos and additional info.

Yep.>>

I remember that. We all vouched for you James. He could be a nice guy who just doesn't get it. Or he might not. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt as you clearly do.

So:

calling: KCAPCapital, KCAPCapital Offline come in. Please respond KCAPCapital. Testing 1-2, 1-2.....

Uh, no reply yet. This fellow is going to have to engage in a public conversation here if he wants to establish any credibility.

..wait KCAPCapital you do mention you have a phone. Does it have a number? How about posting your phone number?

Hi,

Sorry for all the trouble. This is most definitely not a scam. I will give my phone number to anyone interested in the coins.

However I don't think it is in my best interest to post my phone number on a public forum, hope you understand.

In any event, the prospective buyer of these coins would have my name, address, and phone number if they truly felt I was committing a crime.

I have a high degree of confidence (beyond a reasonable doubt) that neither of these two coins are not genuine. I have a high degree of confidence that the 1874-P has original surfaces. I am somewhat uncertain if the 1882-P has original surfaces, but I do not have the expertise to determine if/what has been done to the surfaces.

It's good that you all are being quite careful in your online dealings. I will supply all of my personal information to whoever purchases these coins. They will then be able to sue me if I commit fraud against them. So please don't worry!

There are several professional dealers on the boards (MarkFeld, CarlWohlforth, BillJones, Coindude, just to name a few) who are extremely reputable and reliable, and any one of them would be glad to look at the coins in-hand I am sure. And of course, I have made the same offer (although I'm not a full-time dealer - I'm an auction cataloger). I just think (and others seem to agree) that for coins of this caliber, and of the caliber in the previous BST post you made, it would be very much to your advantage to get a second opinion. As a fellow collector, I want nothing more than for you to get adequate value for your coins.

For me personally, I will not buy coins of that nature (three-dollar gold) uncertified unless I have a really reliable source telling me they are genuine. The authenticity of the coins is significantly more important than the "grade" at this point.

Basically, considering the number of reputable dealers who frequent the boards, I don't see how you can do better than to have one of them look at it.

(Speaking for just me personally, I would image the coins for you and provide an analysis as to whether or not they would "do well" in a Scotsman sale. I probably can't afford to buy the coins outright, much as I would like to, but if the coins go to auction, they might do very well.)

Seriously, good luck to you, but please consider my suggestions above. And if you want to call me to discuss further, I don't mind posting my number on a public forum. It is:

3I4-574-I785

... and you can call me anytime.

Best of luck!