• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neat IHC error

11 posts in this topic

Here is a 1907 double struck IHC that I picked up this past weekend. It has a little pitting on the reverse but is still really interesting.

I couldn't find any recent sales of this type of error on Ebay. Does anyone have a idea of value? Thanks.

369745-scan0004.jpg.7bb988173bfbe5fed0a6f5bd98b52c8b.jpg

I am thinking that I've seen an occasional one of them go for around 1200?? plus yours isn't a minor second strike, it got nearly half of the coin!

COOL

I am thinking that I've seen an occasional one of them go for around 1200?? plus yours isn't a minor second strike, it got nearly half of the coin!

I think that 1200 might be high. This is a late date, and not the highest grade. I'd speculate more in the 400-800 range.

That said, something about this rubs me wrong. There's a surprising amount of undertype on the second strike, much more than usual. It could be ok, but there are issues with IHCs with fake second strikes from counterfeit dies. Since I don't know how to tell, I probably wouldn't buy this myself -- which of course might simply mean that I missed out on a nice piece.

Shrug.

There's a surprising amount of undertype on the second strike

I agree with that. It looks odd.

Where's Shylock or Irishmike?

I am not sure about the second strike either. I did some searching around and found a few that look as though the second strike is stronger.

Oh well, off it goes to NGC today. If it's bad i'm only out grading fees as I bought this coin in a junk box for $20. Wish me luck.

welli guess this is after the fact but

a neat error and IF GENUINE a $650 coin or there abouts retail and would be sold fast

it is unlike any other double struck indian head cent i have ever seen

good luck at ngc and please let us know what happens!!!!

michael