• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

finally figured out what is wrong with coin collecting--slabbing services!!

34 posts in this topic

I have the US Red Book with me from 1963, 1965, 1967, 1972 and 1979 with me if you want any specific prices. And in prior posts, I used these sources.

I'll agree with David that there are many avenues to collecting still available to the collector of modest means, but unlike what most collectors on these boards collect, they are not primarily found with US coins.

Sure, a collector of US coins can buy circulated material at moderate prices in some instances but its also partly what one describes as "moderate" In a recent post, someone mentioned that VF Barber halves sell for about $200. From the little know of this series, these coins come disproportionately in very low grades which is why they sell at what I would describe as very high prices for a relatively common circulated coin. But they have never been cheap since I started collecting. Even back in 1977, they listed in the Red Book for $85 which was more in relative terms than now.

My collecting budget is more than average, but peanuts compared to the big budget collectors. Though its not the only reason for my preference, I see no reason to settle for common circulated coins which are still mostly relatively overpriced when I can buy much higher quality material from other countries for the same or less money.

Completing a circulated set of Barber Halves in VF would set the collector back what, about $7500 to $10,000? That's a hell of a lot of money for such an average set. And good luck to most collectors if they need to get their money back anytime soon after they buy it. Some may be able to do so but most will not. The same general idea applies to other sets such as Capped Bust halves and in this instance, the set would not even include the scarcest dates.

I'm indifferent to the Barber half but the Capped Bust half was my favorite coin as a kid. Yet someone could buy a complete set of Mexican pillar dollars (excluding the 1772) for about the same money or even less in roughly equivalent condition, and this might even include the 1732 depending upon the grade of both sets.

The bulk of my collection remains US coinage. The most fun I have had in numismatics lately has been collecting one cent coins, or their equivalent, from around the world. I look for modern issues in unc. and older ones in circulated condition. They are much more affordable than comparable US and offer a tremendous amount of variety in composition, size and design.

There are a lot of collecting options out there for everyone. Collect what you like, enjoy what you have, learn as much as you can about your coins and don't get hung up over raw or plastic. There are advantages to both. For instance, I like the security of having my early commemoratives in plastic as "protection" of my investment. On the other hand I have cracked out several Capped Bust Halves to match them with my raw, circulated ones. That is me and the way that I like 'em. If someone wants only slabbed coins, super! If one collects only circulated coins, great! If one collects both, that is their business.

Returning to numismatics after a several year hiatus, I found it assuring to buy coins in slabs as my rusty grading skills returned. There was also a time when I tried to purchase only from PNG dealers too. I've made "mistakes" along the way - buying coins that have been dipped once too often or copper cleaned with MS70. It is all part of the learning curve. Now I judge each coin on its own merit as it relates to my collection be it raw or slabbed. When I stopped worrying about what everyone else thought of this coin or that, I've enjoyed the hobby much more.

Thanks for letting me vent and share my opinion. rantrant

I've seen prices decline dramatically since 1989. Yes, there's been some appreciation over the past few years, but most coins are selling at 50C on the dollar vs 20 years ago. I;m sure that registry sets have pushed up the prices of modern MS 68-70 coins. But good old fashioned commems, Silver dollars, barber coinage, walkers etc are cheap in comparison to the market peak in 1989.

I've seen prices decline dramatically since 1989. Yes, there's been some appreciation over the past few years, but most coins are selling at 50C on the dollar vs 20 years ago. I;m sure that registry sets have pushed up the prices of modern MS 68-70 coins. But good old fashioned commems, Silver dollars, barber coinage, walkers etc are cheap in comparison to the market peak in 1989.

I hear that!! Every so often I come across a coin,usually Morgan dollars but there are others, that have been slabbed in the 80's with a photo by some defunct grading company.The photo insert includes a value for the coin and those prices can be five or six times what they are now. I've actually bought a couple at "normal" prices and since resold them. Wish I had one to post pics.