• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1893 Isabella Quarter NGC AU-50 (counterfeit?)

12 posts in this topic

I don't see anything wrong with the holder, but the pictures are lousy. No way I would buy from such poor pictures.

For about $100 more than AU50 price, you could buy a MS62.

I see nothing wrong with it at all. Do you mean because its a half sticker and doesn't go all the way across? There were several generations of NGC slabs with stickers like that.

I'll add: I have bought from this seller several times and been very happy every time. My most recent purchase was the 1958 Type II I cherrypicked from them last month.

I've also bought from that seller but I also know they have sold counterfeits. The CFE Group on Ebay has several threads on that seller, from a 1798 S-167 DBC being sold as a 1796 DBC (I started that thread), to a 1928-S (removed mint mark) Peace Dollar being sold as a 1928-P, to a 1878-CC counterfeit Trade Dollar. I've only bought authentic stuff from them but that's because I only buy what I know. ;) It seems like most times I buy something on a whim and don't know the series well, that's when I get burned so I try to not buy on a whim. ;)

I've never seen a reverse label that small before so I learned something today. :D

Ribbit :)

I don't see anything wrong with the holder, but the pictures are lousy. No way I would buy from such poor pictures.

For about $100 more than AU50 price, you could buy a MS62.

Agreed. I like this coin but would not buy one below mint state. Its simply too common.

barring a fake slab which i highly doubt the coin and slab is genuine

but as others have said you can buy a mucho nicer eye appealling coin in a nice unc. ngc slab for a hundred or so more

good luck!

You can look the number up in the NGC database to verify it.

If we are concerned about a fake slab, that really doesn't mean much. The Chinese have caught on to that, and will fake the slabs with the correct coin in it. This slab and coin are genuine however.

I don't see anything wrong with the slab. As far as I know they have not faked that generation of holder, and none of the errors they made on the earlier fake NGC slabs are present on this one.