• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Residue?on Morgan dollar

9 posts in this topic

Looking at the rim from around 4 o'clock to 6 o'clock,does anyone know what would cause this white residue?dipped?The coin is in an NGC holder graded MS 66. Thanks for looking.

81S661-1.jpg

I can't tell for certain from the image. But it could be that the coin was toned, some of the toning had etched into the surface and that is what's left after a dipping.

I can't tell for certain from the image. But it could be that the coin was toned, some of the toning had etched into the surface and that is what's left after a dipping.

Since they are mostly what I look at,Ive seen similar streaks on many Morgans. Most times they are in slabbed coins.I was thinking that maybe the grading companies are treating certain coins before they slab them,but they wouldn't do that,would they?

Since they are mostly what I look at,Ive seen similar streaks on many Morgans. Most times they are in slabbed coins.I was thinking that maybe the grading companies are treating certain coins before they slab them,but they wouldn't do that,would they?

I seriously doubt that - it's far more likely that they have been dipped BEFORE being submitted.

What ??

You telling me that toning actually damages a coins surface??

Yes. it does. Toning actually etches the surface of the coin. Light toning causes light damage that may not be noticed if it is removed, but heavy toning can etch the surface deeply enough to completely remove the luster.and leave the coin with a dead appearance.

Yes. it does. Toning actually etches the surface of the coin. Light toning causes light damage that may not be noticed if it is removed, but heavy toning can etch the surface deeply enough to completely remove the luster.and leave the coin with a dead appearance.
I'm not positive, but even though he didn't include a winkie, I suspect that the poster you replied to was being tongue-in-cheek.