• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on Indian cent

11 posts in this topic

Carbon spot removal gone bad. JMO

Jim

Yeah ,I thought so too.I believe someone took a very small metal instrument,like a needle and attempted to get rid of that spot. It's a very tiny area, as you can see if you look at a normal Indian cent,but this would never pass grading right?

Think like a grader to answer your own question. Any anomaly not normal seen on a coins surface would pretty much garner a further inspection with a magnification loupe to determine just what the unaided eye is seeing.

Once it is determined that an area has been perhaps manipulated with either chemicals, abrasives or tooling, it's pretty much a reject for receiving a numerical grade.

I'm not an IHC collector, but I do believe this Indian Head Cent would fall into that category. Unless it's one of the rarer dates for a gamble or Genuine/Details, I would not even take the chance.

I just don't understand how two people can see the same photo and come to opposite conclusions. This is one of the responses I got from the coin dealer who sold me this coin.I've done business with him for awhile and everything I've gotten has been as good or better than expected. This person says he's been in the business 30 years.He also says he has no use for TPG's.I wonder why?

. The coin in the above picture is an 1881 Proof Indian cent.Really beautiful,except or the tool marks. If I thought they were bag marks I wouldn't have said a thing about them.

"Just send her back its not a problem. Are you 100% its man made I'm 100% sure it is not this is why I ask you find another coin dealer. I still have the pictures of the coin on my computer and just blew up 300% to say it was tooled is absurb nothing more than contact marks. Your a great guy but Id rather another coin dealer go around with you on these kind of things. Tooled no way."

So,I guess I'm fired.