• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Core collection and your TEN most favorite coins

33 posts in this topic

my imaginary core collection would be

1 large planchet pine tree shilling on full weight perfectly centered flan; well close

2 small planchet pine tree shilling on full weight perfectly centered flan

3 small eagle bust dollar 1797 with the ultra cool listed mintage of 7,776

4 gem proof original case set toned morgan dollar the ultimate proof silver type coin your choice of date

5choice to gem ms flyer your choice of date undipped original skin no streaks and the coin has to be 100% fully struck: wonder if this even exists (shrug)

6 better date choice au three dollar gold piece

7 1794 flowing hair half dime the rarer orphan of the hugely in demand 1794 half and forget about the 1794 dollar 200k+ for a decent original example with no post mint damage and/or repairs

8 1793 ameri. chain any grade ag3+ and up :cloud9:

9 1799 cent on average planchet with clear date and die chip on reverse ag3 and up

10 a piece of choice brilliant proof gold strongly cameoed from 1900-1907 era with totally original surfaces---good luck

Michael, please explain

case set toned morgan dollar the ultimate proof silver

and why you don't have a chalmer's shilling in there

just wonderin???????????????

I think I will expand on my core collection:

1802/0 half cent

1811 C1 half cent

dream: 1836 proof 64 Brown half cent with gorgeous coloration and nice mirrors

dream: 1808 cent in gem condition without spots or stains

dream: 1887 shield nickel with rays in ms 67

dream: 1916 standing liberty quarter in original condition

1807 50C

? 1815 50C (? because it's up for sale and I'm considering taking it off the market

because I'm thinking maybe it should be part of my core collection)

dream: 1936 proof 66 walker )? unmolested

dream: 1921 S or D walker in au and totally original

dream 1919 D walker in au and totally original with a strike superior to others of the same genre (same for the '21)

1889 CC morgan in AU unmolested

dream: 1901 gem proof morgan unmolested

dream: 1953 proof 67 Franklin in deep cameo and pq for the grade

dream: 1909S VDB penny in gem rb or red without carbon spots

oh gee, a lotta dreamin going on around here!!!!!

Michael, please explain

case set toned morgan dollar the ultimate proof silver

and why you don't have a chalmer's shilling in there

just wonderin???????????????

hi there mike!! hope all is well

the case set toned morgan dollar ------usually at the mint in the 1880-s -1890-s people would get a set of proof coins silver and copper indiand head three cent nick dine quarter half and of course morgan dollar possibly the trade dollar also

they would by a pre-fitted and already mass produced cased wooden set with put cut opening to fit every coin covered in velvet to put the coins into and then it close kind of like an old dagerriotype case but it was bigger to fit the above proof set cheap wood covered by fake leather and velvet fitted openings for the coins

all the major coin dealer shops in the 1880-s -1900's early 1900's sold these cases ion different shapes and sizes from one coin to a whole set for minty visitors wishing to take home some proof coins in a nice box for presentation to a LOVED ONE OR WHATTEVER

in the 1960-1970-s when coins started to be worth some money many of these sets came out and if all original since the day they were mafde the silver coins all had a particular look to them ans if they were untouched and stored properly usually they are gem or better as no hairlines and with pretty toning and of course sometimes spott3ed so these spotted coins preclude the gem grade but the untouch ed unspotted ones that are hnot too deeply toned just medium toned where it doesnot hide the coin these are usually the most beautiful original morgan proof dollars and straight frojm the mint into the sets given to family members?/ and put away \

\\

usually these are the most beautiful original coins and better tyhan all the hairlined dipped out examples you aee as many new collectors with big $$ want the dipped out cloudy hazy coins with brownish secondary rim toning so the dealers dip them get the cameo designation and slel them for more$$ not good or bad just the way it is

hard to explqain but you will see this ttoning and understand it if you know waht to look for stacks auction company in the 1970-s and 80;s you usually asee sets of proof morgans and this type of toning picked out of original sets kept together since they were issued most are ugly some a pretty and higher grade thwse are the ones you want

my computer crashed with all my photos give me until tomotrrow and i will post some exaples on here not mine but from auctions and dealer website

showing the "look" and typical case waht it looked like

of course the photos do not do the coins justice but you will get my drift so to speak

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHY THE PINE TREE SHILLING AND NOT THE CHAMBERS SHILLING??

PINE TREE first silver coin

made by colony not a private silversmith

made in boston mass. the birthplace of the american revolution and also many historical figures

more available to collectors

larger and more sexy designs

and visally more appealling

more historical

studied and collected since before the civil war and documented as such

even mentioned by the hardy boys mysteries and romanced many years by legend and folklore

great history

first truly american coin

many specific books written about about the pine tree and other willow and oak tree coinage notre dame louis jordan book and noe book/monograph from the ans

more advertising and WAY MORE DEMAND

linked to the salem witch trials because of the way they were made as many thought the waviness was made by biting the coin witch pieces and not because of being made in a rocker press the large planchets

the famous john j ford collection of mass silver coins selling to much advertising and fanfare

historical boston compaired to third ranked baltimore

etc. etc.

chambers is a good coin but the pine tree or shall i say mass. silver coinage is the more older, famous older brother

officially sactioned by colony of mass.