• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Info request on HK-243a - Board of Lady Managers Dollar

7 posts in this topic

Thinking of adding this in to my book project. Any/All info on this issue, official records, is appreciated. TIA! :)

Image Example:

hk243aobv.jpg

I wonder if this is Caroline Peddle's original design that is mentioned in documents? ("living person on a coin" and "advertisement on the reverse"???

PS: Awful modeling and composition. Mrs. Palmer was not a lemon sucker.

Also, would not have recognized this from the illustration in H&K update book. This is a much better photo.

Thanks for the help so far folks! (thumbs u So far I've found a copy of the minutes for the Board of Lady Managers for the period 1890-1891. Nothing in there about this. I also found that the Chicago History Museum is running an exhibit on Ms. Palmer till 01/04/10. I've sent them an email requesting info if they have any. I don't give up easily, so my search will continue. :)

As this does not mention the coin and may be of no help, Bertha Honore Palmer's obituary, wife of Potter Palmer, does tell a lot about her personally and her roll as President of the Board of Lady Manager's for the Columbian Exposition.

Bertha Honore Palmer

Here is another article that while mentioning the half dollar, it tells of how Bertha Honore Palmer and Susan B Anthony were the cause of the Isabella Quarter being issued. Quite interesting article.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art30758.asp

This Photo shows her wearing pearls quite akin to the ones on the coin. May be a coincidence, though.

Bertha_Honore_Palmer.jpg

Hope this helps in some small way, Lee. Good luck with your book project. Hope to be able to peruse it soon.

Jim