• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned nickels? Help...

25 posts in this topic

I have some Jefferson nickels that are toned black they look like onix. I have seen the war nickels like that, but never have I seen them in 1955, or 1959. And the ones that are the onix toned are bu. I would appreicate some info if you have it to give. And also, if you have any of these nickels in bu I would be interested in buying them.

These are sometimes refered to as Black Beuaties and I believe it is an impurity in the alloy used by the Mint. ANACS may even denote this name on their labels for these coins.

That is very interesting. I own hundreds of toned Jeffersons. I have never seen non-war nickels toned 'black'. Could you post some pictures?

Thanks

I wouldn't buy this one but here is one. Link

Another one

That is very interesting. I own hundreds of toned Jeffersons. I have never seen non-war nickels toned 'black'. Could you post some pictures?

Thanks

Sure here it is. I think also it might be doubled. this color is on the reverse, and the rim also. there is no light spots and the color is true through out, in a rich luster. I bet if you sliced this coin in half even the inside would be black. Very nice coin. I have found many others also. I bought this raw for .99.

IMG_0001.jpg[/img]

That looks much better than I had imagined. The toning looks very smooth not rough or spotty at all. Have you considered getting it slabbed?

Might also be fun to put together a danasco year set of nothing but that color pattern of nickels.

That looks much better than I had imagined. The toning looks very smooth not rough or spotty at all. Have you considered getting it slabbed?

Might also be fun to put together a danasco year set of nothing but that color pattern of nickels.

Yes I hope to do that but I also have a 1955 but it is not the same true color. Would you be interested in buying one. I have a roll of 1959 coming to me when I get them. I was told they would all be the black beauty nickel. I will not sell them any where close to the price CSN is selling them for. I will be sending them in once I get a good bulk to be slabed.

Interesting video. To me your nickel looks better than the example he showed. I have seen improperly Anealed coins before. Might be worth getting graded. I will look through my nickels and see if I have any similiar nickels.

Interesting video. To me your nickel looks better than the example he showed. I have seen improperly Anealed coins before. Might be worth getting graded. I will look through my nickels and see if I have any similiar nickels.

This coin was scanned too. It looks alot better in person. Here is one for sell on ebay, I would ask him if it is black toned though. 290132282144 item #

I hope to never see this kind of stuff on this site. What a heated debate over something so sinceless. Have fun, They are argueing about the black beauty nickel.http://www.cointalk.com/forum/t47714-9/

It usually isnt that bad over there.

I hope to never see this kind of stuff on this site. What a heated debate over something so sinceless. Have fun, They are argueing about the black beauty nickel.http://www.cointalk.com/forum/t47714-9/

In all fairness, that thread was corrupted by a guy who thinks he is an alien. Furthermore, that is the 3rd or 4th time that they have had the same discussion about black beauty Jeffersons on Cointalk in the last year. Feel free to search black beauty to find the other threads over there if you want.

The best post in that entire thread was post # 44 by CamaroDMD. Richie must have taken a course in metallurgy at some point.

#44 was a great post it really helped. Here is a newspaper clipping I ran across today. Thought maybe you all would be interested in reading it. I see that 1959 isn't the only year this black beauty can be found in. Also can anyonr tell me how many of these coins have been certified for 1959?

f478_1_sbl.jpg

f631_1_sbl.jpg

f565_1_sbl.jpg

When you send yours in are you going to sell any of the duplicates?

I will sell some of the duplicates after I get them cert. So far I have 36 1959's, I also found a 1961 s with a dark blue and purple tone, and a 1960 d with the onix tone. I have contacted the guy in the news artical. haven't heard from him yet but hopefully he will be able to lead me to some more finds. He owns kointain i think. I'll keep you post if you are interested in getting some.

#44 was a great post it really helped. Here is a newspaper clipping I ran across today. Thought maybe you all would be interested in reading it. I see that 1959 isn't the only year this black beauty can be found in. Also can anyonr tell me how many of these coins have been certified for 1959?

f478_1_sbl.jpg

f631_1_sbl.jpg

f565_1_sbl.jpg

If these "black beauty" Jefferson nickels look like the piece that is pictured in this newspaper article, they are nothing but corroded coins. It has nothing to do with some exotic, mistaken alloy. When copper-nickel coins go bad, they turn black and crusty. I’ve seen this happen with Civil War era “white cents,” shield nickels and even a few clad quarters. There is nothing wonderful or remarkable about this. They simply environmentally damaged coins that have little or no numismatic value.

Many years ago, in the mid 1970s I once had a Proof set, I think it was a 1962, that had blue toned nickel. in it. I viewed the set as defective and cut it up. When I cut the pocket in which the nickel had been stored a sharp smelling gas came out of it. If I had the coin in that pocket for a longer period of time, that blue nickel have eventually toned to blue-black.

I've seen similar toned Proof nickels in slabs with high grades and fancy prices on them. To me that are damaged coins, but if you like them, go ahead and collect them.

Many years ago, in the mid 1970s I once had a Proof set, I think it was a 1962, that had blue toned nickel. in it. I viewed the set as defective and cut it up. When I cut the pocket in which the nickel had been stored a sharp smelling gas came out of it. If I had the coin in that pocket for a longer period of time, that blue nickel have eventually toned to blue-black.

I've seen similar toned Proof nickels in slabs with high grades and fancy prices on them. To me that are damaged coins, but if you like them, go ahead and collect them.

I do agree that the coin in the clipping looks as though it is damaged. But just look at the 1959 picture. Beleave me this coin has not been damaged it is true coloring all around. And as I stated if I was to cut this coin in half the inside would probally be black. I am not disputing you at all. The last few days I have probally did somewhere around 30 hours of research on an improperly anealed coins/clad nickel. And must say this coin the 1959 is a mint error. I'm not saying this because of the link of the CSN guy. alot of the stuff that guy says is not true, and is your average car salesman. I don't fill that this coin is worth 250.00 either. But I do beleave someone fell asleep while baking the planchets. And the color on this coin isn't blue/black it looks like the nickel handles you buy for your kitchen cabinets. And I did research on the process of making dark nickel handles. They are also baked longer to make them this dark rich chocolate color. The white nickel color is only briefly baked.

I am in the camp that believes the existence of “improperly annealed planchets” but having a Jefferson nickel dark in appearance does not automatically make it one of those so-called “Black Beauties”

It needs to be examined by someone who can compare it to known examples and not speculate as to what might have occurred in order to turn the nickel dark.

Good luck…till then, all you have a potential “Black Beauty”

I agree, I need it to be certified, I could speculate all day, but until someone with the knowledge of improperly anealed nickels/black beauty gives it a check mark then I can truely call it that. Tell me, who should I send it to?