• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay seller/buyers scammed...to the tune of thousands of dollars!!

7 posts in this topic

Last week, I bid and won a raw 1894-O AU Morgan. My high bid was $110.50. I had checked the seller's feedback and he had over 1700 positive feedbacks and had recently sold some expensive jewelry with positive feedback.

Well....

Received an email from eBay today explaining that if I made an off eBay purchase from this seller or was contacted by the seller, to contact eBay. I then looked at my purchase in my "won" page, and it showed the seller as "no longer registered" with eBay.

Alarms were now going off :eek:

I immediately called eBay and they looked at the account and transaction and without a full explanation, offered me a full refund to my paypal account. Good deal.

Fortunately, I only won one of the auctions that, apparently, was a major fraud scam. It was perpetrated by either the original account holder or the account was "hijacked" and used to sell coins that were not in their possesion.

But, several people bid and won on this guy's auctions. I had been watching several of his auctions over the past week and while those auction links are still in "my watching" page, the links connect to the "death" notice of the item.

I am posting several pictures from SOME of the coin auctions from the "watch" page and the seller's ID of "Snipitz". Sorry, that is the size from the "watch" page. He probably had over 50 auctions over the past week.

If anyone here purchased a coin from those auctions or seller directly, I would contact ebay immediately.

Listed as "1892 CC BU DMPL"...sold for $2,247

3303414960576464_1.jpg

Listed as a "1904 P 20D BU"...sold for $1,112.99

3303414892186464_1.jpg

Listed as a "1894 P AU"...sold for $1,512.55

3303416573646464_1.jpg

Listed as a "1879 S Rev 78 BU DMPL"...Sold for $1,473.00

3303416578546464_1.jpg

Jack that really sucks atleast you are not out anything!!

Here is a link to the completed listing by the seller. Link

Great link. Thanks, it might help others.

I must say, though, the pics of the coins were very, very nice. I bid on several of his auctions to my limit of what I deem "safe" for that coin. For once, I am happy someone else out bid me.

Jack that really sucks atleast you are not out anything!!

Here is a link to the completed listing by the seller. Link

Great link. Thanks, it might help others.

I must say, though, the pics of the coins were very, very nice. I bid on several of his auctions to my limit of what I deem "safe" for that coin. For once, I am happy someone else out bid me.

I must say the pictures do look very good....... hm maybe to good. Do you think he stole the pictures from some where?

I am betting that if the account was hijacked, those pics were from an online auction. Could of been from almost anywhere. I would not surprised if someone here recognizes the "style" of photography.

BTW, I posted your LINK ATS. I hope you don't mind, it might help others over there as well.

BTW, I posted your LINK ATS. I hope you don't mind, it might help others over there as well.

I don't mind at all and I posted this on cointalk!!

This was snipitz,right?I had my eye on several of those Morgan PL's and DMPL's. Glad I didn't win anything.I vaguely remember the feedback was old or something.