• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Certified Clad Proof Quarter Annual Sets

6 posts in this topic

Are you talking about the PF69UC coins. If so they usually sell for half of what it costs just to get the coin graded. I usually see them sell between $25 and $35 unless you see the 1999 set which sells for almost $100. Right know there are more of them graded then there is a supply for them.

I believe he's talking about the quarters only Proof sets that the mint sells early in the year before the full Proof sets are issued.

I had some of these sets when I was a dealer, I could not sell them to anybody unless I sold them at a deep discount below Gray Sheet bid. The dealers I knew who had a retail store would pay at most 20% in back of bid and I could not get them to buy very many at that level.

I thought about cracking them out and trying to sell them as single coins to those who put Proof coins in albums, but decided that was a dead end. I was finally able to unload the rest at a FUN show. I had a big sign that said 50% off of bid and then I finally sold them. Even so the guy who bought them tried to get my price down even further. :pullhair:

In short I think the quarters only sets are a terrible buy. The only time I ever made money on them was the first year they came out in silver. Other than that all I did was lose money on them.

Maybe the graded sets in the NGC multi coin holders are better, but I won't bank on it.

I believe he's talking about the quarters only Proof sets that the mint sells early in the year before the full Proof sets are issued.

It says certified in the title but you also make a good point about the State Quarter only proof set.

If I do purchase the graded sets (quarters or proof sets), is it worth it to send them back in and have them broken up by NGC/PCGS?

And...what is the "grey" sheet you mentioned? Is this what dealers use for pricing?

If I do purchase the graded sets (quarters or proof sets), is it worth it to send them back in and have them broken up by NGC/PCGS?

It cost $5 per coin at NGC plus shipping both ways so I wouldn't bother. If you want them in individual slabs buy them that way.

And...what is the "grey" sheet you mentioned? Is this what dealers use for pricing?

It is a dealers price guide!!

http://www.greysheet.com/cdn/grey.asp