• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odd Statistics

8 posts in this topic

I just completed a seller's round on e-bay where I sold P & D US Mint rolls.

The 2002 Sacagawea set sold for double face value ($200.50) whereas the 2002 Kennedy set only sold for $37.50. Keep in mind that this was the first year that these coins were not released to circulation so the results were a little disappointing.

The US Mint state quarter rolls all sold for ~ issue price except for the Illinois rolls which sold for $100 for the P & D set. Amazing. Guess that was due to timing because of Lincoln's bicentennial/centennial and Obama's senatorial state.

Surprisingly, the complete set of the Westward Journey nickel rolls did not sell with $60 opening bid (original cost if mint postage is included). Remember when the peace rolls where so popular?

It just shows you how fickle the hobby actually is and the state of mind of collectors.

Modern mint sets sold at an abysmal rate, way below issue. The silver 1960 mint set sold well, though.

I was severely disappointed when I tested the market with the US Marine Corp commemorative silver dollar issues before. The BU dollar only sold for $30 and, sadly, the coin and stamp set only sold for $27, $13 less than the issue price. And all issues were sold out and were commanding huge premiums. Once again, the market is all about timing.

Surprisingly, the complete set of the Westward Journey nickel rolls did not sell with $60 opening bid (original cost if mint postage is included). Remember when the peace rolls where so popular?

I would have bid but you opened them out of the white boxes!! If the Peace Nickels are in the sealed white box they usually sell for double of what an opened box sells for.

What difference does that make? What's your logic?

The only one that I am missing is the Peace Medal. The reat of them are still sealed in the white box so I would like a complete all sealed in the white box. I don't know why the sealed boxes sell for more. I have been trying to get the peace medal for some time but they are still getting crazy prices. There is no real logic!!

You mean those peace medals that came with the set the mint issued? I didn't know they were still at a premium. I bought 5 sets at the time and sold them for a nice profit at the time. But I thought the fad died out fairly quickly after that.

I expect the prices of coins generally to decline, but especially for the material covered in your post.

If I understand you correctly, Nickels with a face value of $4 that are as common as the sand on the beach did not sell for $60? That is an absurd price and if anyone was actually paying more before, that is insane.

Similar sentiments apply to modern commemoratives. Not sure whether you remember a post about six months ago or so, but in there several of us commented about the likelihood that this type of commemorative and modern commemoratives in general are likely bought in outsized numbers by non-collectors. If this is a correct assessment, then it should not be too long before they start to come up for sale in large volumes from these types of people, if they have not already. Many of them must unemployed by now and need to raise money to pay their bills.

the marine corp coins will do much better if you hold for a few years+ as new recruitswill want one along with their families

but it will take time to absorb all the xcoins currently on tyhe market

this is why

currently there are more on the market then there is demand

the only coins going up are monster really high grade rarer pre 1915 coins and also really scarce to rare speciality coinage like colonials, early type, rare date pre 1880 coins scarcer to rare O mint gold etc.