• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange white coin

7 posts in this topic

It just looks like an untoned, slightly hazy coin to me - I don't see anything odd/unusual about the color, or lack thereof.

It just looks like an untoned, slightly hazy coin to me - I don't see anything odd/unusual about the color, or lack thereof.

This one just seems to be extremely chalky white compared to others similar to it.

Of course we may never know the exact reason this particular 90% silver Morgan appears as such, but I highly suspect improper storage, especially for a 1880-S. Or perhaps is was properly stored and some reactive substance was allowed to contact the surfaces, such as vapors transferred in a humid environment.

Who’s to say, but it seems to have a heavy haze. Now if you could just remove the haze from the fields and leave the devices alone… hm

I've seen some Franklins that had that look.

It can be attractive, if the marks are minimal and the strike is full.

Stored in a high chlorine environment? I know that eventually silver chloride can turn black if it is exposed to strong light long enough, but it its normal appearance is white. (It is one of the less photoreactive silver compounds.)