• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How low can they go?

33 posts in this topic

i see another promotion getting underway in the next 18 months or so AND this will really drive up the prices then it is time to get OUT

I'm not so sure than another promotion is going to take root on the early commemoratives if a few a big dealers try to mount one. The trouble is these coins have yo-yoed way up and way down at least two or three times. Anyone who is into looking at a graph of the prices for these coins will see that collectors and speculators bought at the top and sold at the bottom have lost a lot of money.

The old argument, of “look at the low mintages when you compare them to coins like the 1916-D Mercury dime,” doesn’t hold water because of the different survival rates. The VAST majority of 1916-D Mercury dimes have gone to coin heaven while a strong majority of the net mintage of the early commemoratives still exists.

The “old” commemoratives are a wonderful and fun series to collect, but I think they are being overshadowed by the modern coins, which are cheaper and available in much higher grades.

while a strong majority of the net mintage of the early commemoratives still exists.

I've been following the classic commem series daily for about a year now on ebay so my opinion is not w/o salt.

Most all circulated commems that I see are ugly, rat-fink dogs, stripped and molested. The exception is the common as dirt Columbus and Stone Mountain commems. Common issues such as the Monroe Doctrine and Sequi commems are rarely found in nice circulated condition among others. It can even be difficult to locate a decent BTW or WA-Carver example in crusty circulated condition even though they are much more common in such grades than others.

As far as mint state goes, there are many very lustrous examples to be found. The problem is, they are all an unnatural blast white. Just how many times can a coin be stripped until the chemical wear shows and eradicates the flow lines?

Truly wonderfully toned commems are quite scarce. Unfortunately, when found, such examples sell high above retail which makes a completing a set a daunting task.

So, even though the survivability of this series may be high, the truly nice examples in either uncirculated or circulated grades is quite scarce from what I have seen.

while a strong majority of the net mintage of the early commemoratives still exists.

I've been following the classic commem series daily for about a year now on ebay so my opinion is not w/o salt.

Most all circulated commems that I see are ugly, rat-fink dogs, stripped and molested. The exception is the common as dirt Columbus and Stone Mountain commems. Common issues such as the Monroe Doctrine and Sequi commems are rarely found in nice circulated condition among others. It can even be difficult to locate a decent BTW or WA-Carver example in crusty circulated condition even though they are much more common in such grades than others.

As far as mint state goes, there are many very lustrous examples to be found. The problem is, they are all an unnatural blast white. Just how many times can a coin be stripped until the chemical wear shows and eradicates the flow lines?

Truly wonderfully toned commems are quite scarce. Unfortunately, when found, such examples sell high above retail which makes a completing a set a daunting task.

So, even though the survivability of this series may be high, the truly nice examples in either uncirculated or circulated grades is quite scarce from what I have seen.

TRUE TRUE TRUE

but all the crapola in holders and i mean lots and LOTS!!! holds these coins down

and currently early commems are not the darlings in the marketplace that they used to be even a few short years ago

prices need to change upward for them to be sexy again

now I AM TALKING CHOICE TO GEM UNC

the circ early commems are in huge demand by collectors putting together sets

and this is a constantly growing market nitch