• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your COLUMBUS coin, medal or SCD.

10 posts in this topic

Here is an example of the official award medal that was given to those who had exhibits at the 1893 Columbian Exposition. The obverse was by St. Gaudens and the reverse was by Charles Barber. St. Gaudens was not happy about that.

ColumbianExpoO.jpgColumbianExpoR.jpg

George Whitting (named on the reverse) won this award of improving Indian corn.

Here is an example of the official award medal that was given to those who had exhibits at the 1893 Columbian Exposition. The obverse was by St. Gaudens and the reverse was by Charles Barber. St. Gaudens was not happy about that.

These two sure didn't like each other. Why didn't they fight a duel or something and finish each other off?

Bill, that is one outstanding medal! Beautiful, of course. And this is the first that I've heard of it.

It is amazing to contrast St. Gauden's style and Barber's. This is a classical example of Barber's institutional art vs. Renaissance styled creativity.

Thanks for sharing!!! :cloud9:

Bill, that is one outstanding medal! Beautiful, of course. And this is the first that I've heard of it.

It is amazing to contrast St. Gauden's style and Barber's. This is a classical example of Barber's institutional art vs. Renaissance styled creativity.

Picture015-15-2.jpgPicture016-10-1.jpg

I think that there's little doubt that without Braddick's and Bill Jones' input on these boards then it not be quite the same.

Fascinating piece, Braddick!

St Gaudens supplied reverse designs for the Columbian Expo medal, but he was stubborn about changing them. His first reverse featured a nude man which was unacceptable to the Victorian sensibilities of the time. (St. Gaudens’ son, Homer, modeled for it.) St. Gaudens argued that such images were acceptable in the art world and in Europe, but he could not convince his critics.

He followed this up with a design that had ribbons covering the offending male parts. This too was rejected. By the time St. Gaudens came up with a design that would have been acceptable, mint officials had gone to Charles Barber for a reverse design. St. Gaudens was not pleased with that to the least.

There are at least a couple thousand of these pieces available which makes this piece the most common St. Gaudens designed medal. The only other collectable St. Gaudens design was a tribute to George Washington, which I don’t find particularly attractive. They were issued in a very neat velvet lined aluminum case. Medals that have been separated from their original cases are not nearly as desirable IMO.

Speaking of St. Gaudens...

And here's another Columbus medal with a repro of the Columbian Exposition ticket.

80640.jpg.6d5d74b98b062c853952ff23b38f8c7c.jpg

80641.jpg.41b4debf8cf5c425268cfecdb95e5ed2.jpg

80642.jpg.f596ecf9dad534efc34959498444fa4d.jpg

80643.jpg.1c61cc1068f75f15786ff1f22eaa3eb3.jpg