• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Coin for Type Set - Standing Liberty Quarter Type 1

11 posts in this topic

New pickup - a 1917 MS-64FH Standing Liberty Quarter. I under-bid on this coin by around $50 and didn't expect to get it ... but I did. Now I need to pull cash from other areas of my coin budget for the year.

I'm guessing I won it due to the slight toning between ~8:00-11:00 on both the obverse and reverse, though overall I'm pretty happy with the coin as the toning only is visible when light is around the 5:00 position.

I'm not entirely happy with these photos because something was weird with my camera lens -- the ~3:00-7:00 position was way out of focus despite the camera being level and the rest of the coin in-focus. I don't remember noticing this issue on my coin photos before. :( But ... it doesn't show when reduced to 20% size for web display. ;)

Update: I re-shot the coin today with a different - and MUCH better - lens. It's not a macro lens and I couldn't get the image as large on-sensor (by a factor of 78%), but the image quality is significantly better, I think.

Old

1917_MS64FH_Ty1_large_v1.jpg

New

1917_MS64FH_Ty1_large.jpg

I really like the overall color of this coin and the toning is not a distractions. If nothing else I'm surprised the toning did not drive bids higher.

As far as being out of focus, what kind of camera did you use? did you have it in macro mode?

Congrats on a nice type coin.

I have to agree with the focus issue. The color is nice and I would speculate spot on, but the focus is not. Check to make sure your camera was in macro mode as becoka stated. That should help.

Alrighty, folks, I've posted a better pic. The camera is a Canon Rebel 350D (August '05), but the lens was a crummy Quantaray 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 with macro. It's my only macro. But, for this picture below I used one of my better lenses, a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L which is almost a macro.

1917_MS64FH_Ty1_large.jpg

Much better,

Now you want to get as far away from the coin as possible with it still filling as much of the screen as possible. the lights need to be pretty close to the lens in order to light up the whole coin. It's still a bit dark in place.

Basically you want the lighting at as high of an angle as possible and have the edge of the light just before the edge of the coin with out creating a blinding white spot on the coin.

You must be able to see the little bump sticking out....... :bump:

On the rivets that is ... :cloud9:

Here's mine

1917slqobv.jpg

MM