• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check out this PCGS lookalike slab

14 posts in this topic

Compugrade? I have not googled it yet, but I am sure someone here knows their story.

From the front, looks almost verbatim to a typical PCGS slab.

And, MS62.9? one-tenth away from being a MS63?

Linkster

The slab looks legitimate. You can see a sample of the Compugrade slab at http://www.sampleslabs.com/compugrade.html. According to the site, Compugrade started in 1991 to grade coins by computer. The company did not last more than a few months. Given the state of imaging technology then, I am not surprised!

Scott :hi:

Very interesting...it was a good idea, the problem is that computers would be unable to assess "eye-appeal". I guess nothing can really compete with the human eye when it comes to coin grading. :/

I've written about this before here and on my blog. I think computers can do 90-95 percent of the work including the aspects of eye appeal because you can determine what makes a coin appealing (luster, color, etc.). However, since eye appeal is also an emotional response, computers will never be 100-percent. That means the computer would do most of the work and a human would verify eye appeal.

Scott :hi:

As a computer programmer, I tend to think that today's computer technology, in conjunction with digital microscope imaging, can do 80% of the work needed to grade coins. Unfortunately, that leaves an unacceptably large range of error on a 70 point grading scale - too large to give collectors enough of a comfort zone.

Well most of the important information has already been given. The company was legitimate, they did use a computer for grading to one decima place, they were only in operation for about four months, and their slabs are quite scarce.

But the picture is misleading, the slab is nothing like a PCGS slab. They are pretty much the same size as the old small size ANACS slabs but slightly thicker and made of a denser plastic. The have a very solid feel to them. The also have flat square sides, and compugrade was the first service to pioneer a label on the top of the slab so you knew what was in the slab without having to pull it out of the box. (They beat SEGS to this by seven years and beat ANACS by 16 years.) And the edge of the coin is fairly visible as well. The Compugrade slab is one of my favorite slab designs

Has anyone noticed that the coin may be undergraded? If the photo is a true representation, I could see this in a 64.5 holder... (shrug)

MM