• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1797 Draped Bust $1 NGC AU-50 . . . Counterfeit or Stolen Coin?

15 posts in this topic

Howdy peeps, :)

This is the Ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1797-1-Draped-Bust-Dollar-NGC-AU50_W0QQitemZ270392191353

The problem with this is it comes to us from a well known scammer "stv2coins" and we (CFE Members) are concerned it's either a stolen coin or a counterfeit, so I figured I'd post it here and hope someone can shed some light on this, since there can't be that many 1797 AU-50 Draped Bust Silver Dollars floating around. ;)

Ribbit :)

At first I was wondering who in the heck would bid over $1200 on a coin from a guy with a feed back of ZERO. Then I saw that the feedback on the buyer is only 16. Makes me wonder if they guy is bidding on his own stuff to up the price.

At first I was wondering who in the heck would bid over $1200 on a coin from a guy with a feed back of ZERO. Then I saw that the feedback on the buyer is only 16. Makes me wonder if they guy is bidding on his own stuff to up the price.

We've coined a term for peeps like that - Bidiot! We see it all the time. Look at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=200341605572

Ebay is full of Bidiots. doh!

Horrible photos, zero feedback, and covers up the certification number....If that doesn't spell disaster.... I give up!

Its interesting how they took this picture...

f3bb_1.JPG

It looks like they taped the pink peice of paper onto a computer screen that is showing the picture of the coin! :screwy:

It's difficult to get a decent look at the coin, but my (strong) guess is that it's counterfeit.

But it is almost tempting to put a bid on.

f3bb_1.JPG

It looks like they taped the pink peice of paper onto a computer screen that is showing the picture of the coin! :screwy:

Now that I look again you are 100% right... hmm

f3bb_1.JPG

Wow.That's a great piece of detecting!! I'll bet he's selling a coin he doesn't even own.

The image is intentionally out of focus and misleading, yet I get that uneasy gut feel that the coin is fake. It just doesn't look right, even "interpreting" the picture.

f3bb_1.JPG

That is interesting and nice catch! (thumbs u The reflection in the upper lefthand corner is of a car. hm It could be a pic of a computer screen or it could be a pic of a glossy 8X10. ;) But whatever it is, it isn't a pic of the actual coin so this could be a stolen pic situation, rather than a stolen coin. (tsk)

It will still be interesting to watch to see the outcome. :popcorn:

I vote counterfeit. The picture is lousy for a reason, and from what I can see of it, I’d say that it has “C” mint mark. That can stand for “Counterfeit” or “Canton” mint. Either way the buyer of this piece of is going to get the shaft. :tonofbricks:

I vote counterfeit. The picture is lousy for a reason, and from what I can see of it, I’d say that it has “C” mint mark. That can stand for “Counterfeit” or “Canton” mint. Either way the buyer of this piece of is going to get the shaft. :tonofbricks:

Looks like the seller got "forked" instead! :devil: Ebay pulled the listing. ;)