• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Updated "Timeline of US Coinage" - Looking for Input (LARGE Image) - Draft 2

9 posts in this topic

Update (5/22): Please comment on what you think are the major types that are important enough to denote in the timeline. For example, I list the Lincoln memorial and wheat reverses, but I don't list the silver vs. clad coinage from 1964-5 switch.

I've shown my draft around of the timeline and gotten some input from this board, ATS, and my local coin club. Some of the most visible changes since the last version:

(1) Added two more wars.

(2) Moved the timeline labels from between a few things to the bottom.

(3) Changed the color bars for each denomination to only span when the denomination started to when it ended. I'm not entirely sure if I like it better that way or not -- I think it's much easier to see by glancing when the denomination was in use, but my OCD nature doesn't like that they don't all line up nicely.

(4) Added gaps in the quarter and half eagles in the early 1900s.

(5) Changed the manner that I indicate whether there was series overlap vs. a year gap (e.g., Barber-Mercury dimes for the former vs. changing to the memorial reverse on the Lincoln cent. For non-overlapping series, there is just a small gap (assuming that the series change was the next year, otherwise it's a larger gap as before). If they overlap, I went from a -| |- to -\ \- (sorry, that's the best ASCII representation I can do at the moment ... look at it and you'll get the idea). This was based on a recommendation by the Secretary of the local coin club here and I think it much better illustrates that "something different is going on" than just series meeting up.

(6) I think I changed the font size since when I last posted a draft here. I increased it. This has led to some crowding in the text, and I'm definitely open to ideas on how to un-clutter it.

I'm still looking for any input from folks as to perhaps stuff to add, design elements to change, etc. I'm posting a "small" JPG preview below. It is clickable to a PDF version of the file which you can view at any resolution. Note that the colors in the PDF may not desplay properly depending upon your particular PDF viewer - use the JPG version to judge color and font weight.

USCoins_Timeline_Draft2.jpg

Thanks for the compliments.

Please comment on what you think are the major types that are important enough to denote in the timeline. For example, I list the Lincoln memorial and wheat reverses, but I don't list the silver vs. clad coinage from 1964-5 switch.