• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Denial,denial.denial

24 posts in this topic

Is a river in Africa. Meanwhile,I e-mailed this seller about this so called DMPL 1935 Peace dollar. I guess I was looking for trouble, but I really wanted to know what the person would answer when I said I was pretty sure the coin was heavily polished and it was very obvious.

This just gets my goat.

First,here's the link to the coin.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370194305304&_trksid=p2761.l1259

Here is his answer:

Dear p.,

"Hello I can promise you that this coin has not been cleaned or polished, This is an estate coin now you didn't know the owner but he never would have purchased the coin if it were. That i can promise you, Were do you live? just city & state Thank you G."

His promises have about as much substance as a fart in a huricane! doh!

And isn't his parting comment just so touching?

THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS

:screwy:

79511.jpg.37e4c087b0750d213b9076e752b492cd.jpg

I never understood why people market their coins as estate sales. What do I care?

Anything to make a quick buck on the novice collector.

Take a look at some of the others junk this guy sells.

Look at these beauties :

Item #

The guy has now put up a disclaimer saying an ex-grader contacted him about the problems with this coin. Wasn't me. But he still wrote me another e-mail.

"Hello Greg again I don't know everything about coins not even close, I haven't had the chance to learn everything, and polishing I have never run across before. As you can see my feedback says i'm doing a great job for a guy with one leg, i also put a note on that coin. I will look into this some more"

I told him I respect the fact he changed his listing and that "as a guy with one arm"I don't want to take food out of his mouth,but I also don't want to see others pay for something they aren't getting. Thanks for responding guys.Great job!!

looks like medusa snakes in her hair

also denial is a river in egypt

what has one arm to do with selling a polished coin worth16 dollars for a couple of hundred dollars??

excuses excuses

I recently listed a BU Marine Corp Commemorative Silver dollar on e-bay with a .99C opening. I get a message from a retire marine (pasted below). I offer all the coins I have (8 of each proof and uncirculated) at $40 per coin. This was a fair price I thought, just over the issue price and much less if the mint's shipping was factored in. The guy didn't even give me the courtesy of a reply. I thought it very rude so I blocked him. It was annoying that he acted so prim and proper in the message but lacked the common courtesy of a reply.

Sir,

I recently returned from Iraq and Retired from the U. S. Marines and am interested in these Coins. I am wondering how many of these you have and if I was to purchase them all could give me a break in the price or work out some sort of deal! As a 25 year infantry Veteran I have made a lot of friends that I want to get these to over the next few years as they retire, also to friends that are already retired. These Sets are going to Marines only. Since the mint only made so many of these, there aren't even enough for every Marine to have one. Which I think is a shame. If anybody deserves to have one of these sets you would think that it would be Marines. Most of us didn't even know that these had been made let alone have an opportunity to purchase one. I will try to correct this in my own small way! I look forward to hearing from you! Thanks in advance.

Semper Fidelis!

Master Sergeant of Marines (Retired)

I just sold one to test the market and it sold hella cheap at $30. No way I'd sell the others at such a loss. But doing ebay comps, they sell for around $42. Point is, regardless if the guy thought my prices high, he was rude for not replying. I still think this issue holds great potential. This is the only series that I bought multiples of thinking that it would sustain a $100 pricetag. I should have sold them when they were fetching $80.

looks like medusa snakes in her hair

also denial is a river in egypt

what has one arm to do with selling a polished coin worth16 dollars for a couple of hundred dollars??

excuses excuses

That's one leg. I'm the one arm guy.It has nothing to do with anything,that's why I stuck in the fact that I was disabled too.

Just for accuracy.The Nile is two rivers and is the longest river in Africa. From Egypt south to Sudan

Just for accuracy.The Nile is two rivers and is the longest river in Africa. From Egypt south to Sudan

For more accuracy: It splits in Sudan - the Blue Nile starts in Ethiopia, the White Nile starts in Uganda.

I count myself lucky enough to have seen the Nile in three different countries. I haven't made it to Uganda.

Oh, and to keep it coin related (even though its darkside, but hey, its Tangents!) I picked this one up in pocket change while I was over there.

79606.jpg.9849af625aa4747c9e8fc67e6efe6253.jpg

79607.jpg.9a06f7937572589f0239adb742ed51ea.jpg

Yup you got me. I was going to put a link in my post with more info,but I thought it would be too much. Nice coin. What's the date on that?

Yup you got me. I was going to put a link in my post with more info,but I thought it would be too much. Nice coin. What's the date on that?

Ummm.... I'm not entirely sure? Its around 1900, but I'm not exactly sure of the date.

It's too bad its all nicked up, it's actually a scarce coin. It's a KM 13 1 Gersh dated EE1889. That's 1897 AD and it lists at $60 in Fine.

It's too bad its all nicked up, it's actually a scarce coin. It's a KM 13 1 Gersh dated EE1889. That's 1897 AD and it lists at $60 in Fine.

I've had several people tell me different dates. I have it in my catalog as a KM 12, EE1895. How can you tell the difference? One is worth $2, one is worth ten times that!

If you have the catalog look at the way the denomination is written underneath the lion. It is done in a completely different fashion on KM 12 than on KM 13. Yours matches KM 13. (There is no EE1895 date for KM 12) The date on your coin (on the shoulder) also matches that shown on KM 13. What bothers me is that the date appears to read 1891 which would make it a KM 12. The date on the KM 12 reads 1889. This made e wonder if they got the pictures reversed. Then there is another problem. On KM 12 it says the lions left foreleg is raised and on KM 13 it says the right foreleg is raised. But both of the coins pictured in the book have the left foreleg raised. Possibly and error in the book about the forelegs?

I'm starting to believe the pictures are reversed and the info about the forelegs is wrong. If that is the case then I was wrong and it is an 1891 (1899AD) KM 12 and it is a cheap coin. I don't have my library of past issues of the book to go back and check for a mix up in the pictures. I find a lot of mistakes in the book that way. (I have a complete set of all the Standard Catalogs back to the first one in 1972.)

There actually is an EE1895 date for KM12, but it is in the 20th century catalog.

I had never noticed how different the writing under the lion was. I am thinking you are right with the KM13 evaluation - the writing matches, and the date matches the picture. It is also very possible that the info about the forelegs is wrong, and they both have the same foreleg raised. Look for example at KM 10 and 11 for pictures of the right foreleg raised, wheras my gersh quite clearly has the left foreleg raised.

This whole, entire "Estate Sale" ploy is a crock! It is an excuse to sell cleaned overgraded coins with some lame excuse that they came from an estate of an "elderly gentleman" who only got out the Dremel tool and Flitz on Sundays after church! "Since I don't know anything about grading, I have to believe that these are original", yeah right!

This whole, entire "Estate Sale" ploy is a crock! It is an excuse to sell cleaned overgraded coins with some lame excuse that they came from an estate of an "elderly gentleman" who only got out the Dremel tool and Flitz on Sundays after church! "Since I don't know anything about grading, I have to believe that these are original", yeah right!

Got that right.There's no point is stressing "Estate Sale" unless you want to hide behind it.