• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1832 Half dollar with die crack

12 posts in this topic

Hi all i have just been offered a 1832 Large letter half dollar in EF++ condition and on the reverse there is a large die crack running through the left wing to the tail .. and i was wondering if there would be a premium on this or is it common for the type ?? sorry no pictures he would not let me take a picture of it !!!

cheers dooly :devil:

No premium really. They are R1 for rarity. It is a unique variety for 1832 with the Large Letters reverse though, so maybe slightly underappreciated.

This variety is the Large Letters Reverse, and comes in two stages. It's one of the more interesting and dramatic die breaks in the entire series (at least in the O-101A stage), and the die crack is actually why it's so interesting (hence the Red Book photo showing the die break instead of the lettering). This variety used to cary about a 20% premium. But, of late, it has faded in popularity. I think this is because it is being marketed strictly as "Large Letters," and not by some other name to associate it with the massive die break, which would be fitting and make it sound a lot more interesting. Its currently very under-rated.

1832o101a.jpg

1832r101a.jpg

Thats the one .. thanks for the picture .. the coin is not as good condition as the one pictured .. and he is after £60 for it !!!

Here are pics of mine. It cost me more than a normal 32. NGC XF 45. I think I paid around $230ish for it.

100_1585.jpg

100_1586.jpg

This marriage is definitely R1, but there is no other crack like it in the Capped Bust Half series. It should not command much of a price premium, if any.

Even though the early die state meets the REDBOOK requirement of Large Letter Reverse, the late die state is more desirable. Neat stuff.

Went back again today to have another look at the coin and it must be an earlier die state as the crack is weaker to the tail end on his coin .. i was tempted to give him the £60 for it but to me it seems like it has been cleaned some time back :(

From your pictures it looks like it has retoned nicely if indeed it was cleaned. Does it have some hairlines?

Hi there .. the pictures are not of the coin in question .. he will not let me have a picture of it .. and my camera is pants anyway !!

the coin just looks and feels cleaned (you know what i mean) .. If it was not £60 i would totally purchase it in the grade it is but I know what i am like i would keep it a while then just sell it if it would not NGC grade .. and there is a coin sale coming up so i am being a little Scotch with my Penny's at the moment ..

roll on June 25th then i will have some spendy cash from Spinks :banana:

From your pictures it looks like it has retoned nicely if indeed it was cleaned. Does it have some hairlines?

Yes, the first pictures are of my former NGC-58, now raw, and not the coin Dooly wants. It was dipped at some point, but it has developed a beautiful skin over FULL mint luster in the fields!

Went back again today to have another look at the coin and it must be an earlier die state as the crack is weaker to the tail end on his coin .. i was tempted to give him the £60 for it but to me it seems like it has been cleaned some time back :(

It must be the O-101, then. The crack is much smaller in the earlier stage.